Llj's 4G Now 5.5G... A Little Patch Of Sun!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Looking spot on making me want a sun coral again :good:

Looking spot on making me want a sun coral again :good:

same lol

They are not difficult to keep. They need a spot in the tank with a lot of flow. Light isn't important. They don't require shade. They do require nearly daily target feedings. That's the difficult part. You should feed mysis and other meaty foods to most of the polyps quite a bit. Dendros and Balanos are the same.

They'll also eat large planktonic foods. Very fascinating to keep actually. I like them.

I shall post updates on this thread when I return. Hopefully I will have acquired a nice feather duster when I get back. :)

Lissette

Those are beautiful. My LFS has had some for quite some time. Just small frags. I have been tempted, but I think I will just watch yours grow hehe.

-Tyler

I kept one before and sold it as I got sick of feeding it all the time which was only difficult due to the shrimp i kept in the tank

I kept one before and sold it as I got sick of feeding it all the time which was only difficult due to the shrimp i kept in the tank

Haha, Si, then maybe sun corals aren't for you. Won't lie, it's hard work keeping these guys fed, though the actual feeding isn't particularly difficult. They'll eat anything, even pellets.

Some pictures. I mounted my dendros onto my tonga branch. I think it looks great. :good:

Awful fts. I lack photo skills. I'll try to do an HD treatment over the summer.

90d64b48.jpg

Mounted dendros...

d69e84f9.jpg

19a86e33.jpg

And look who came out to play. Lemmiwinks!!! I know what he eats now. Copepods and the large and medium zoo plankton. I see him dance around and grab for it when I feed the tank. I've had him since November.

a86261ec.jpg

Thanks for looking.

L

Looks great! I admire your dedication to feed those heads individually, corals seem to be thriving!

I'm such a video/picture whore. I love this thread. Everything is so immaculate!!!! :hyper:

Thank you. This tank is doing very well. Sun corals get toppled on occasion and my porcelain dislodged a dendro, but easily picked up and fixed. Lemmiwinks is well. Scallop is well.

I may add a nice larger feather duster (I've got a hitch hiker one that's about 1.5" when extended) and do some hardware work with this tank over the summer. I think it's time to try the AC 70 in this tank and then replace the Rio 90s with one Koralia 240. What I'll do is upgrade the old 8g to a 110, and then give this tank the old 70. I'd like to possibly add purigen to the inner chamber now.

I haven't seen Lemmiwinks in over a week. I always get upset by this and then I see him, but this time it's different.

:(

L

Well, this tank had a bit of an accident. When I was target feeding last week, I forgot to turn the power heads back on. As a result, I lost some livestock. I'm pretty upset about it, but mistakes happen, and I should have been more careful. I lost the pompom crab, the sexies, anemone crabs, and probably Lemmiwinks, though I hadn't seen him for a while. Corals are fine though, as are the CUC animals.

CUC has been moved to the quarantine tank, and the corals are now in the 36g and tbh, I like them there, so there is where they'll stay for now. The LR, which is still very good will be used to fill out other tanks and create hiding spots in a planned upgrade to the quarantine tank. So this tank will be torn down. The refugium will be used in the new quarantine.

I've learned a lot from doing an nps system. I like them a lot and had wished I had not made that silly mistake with this one, as I think I could've sustained it longterm with some hard work. I do have plans for one again in the pretty near future, but a few different things will be done...

1. Refugium from the beginning
2. AIO tank
3. Smaller tank, less that 2g, so I'm looking at a Fluval Spec
4. Less demanding species. Really only Balanos and Dendros. They only need target feeding once a week or so. Much easier to maintain, with some mushies to supplement.

Thanks for looking. You can see the suns and dendros in the 36g.

L

AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!! That stinks!!! :/ :sad: How come you lost every thing to no flow and not the corals???

Hope you get a new tank soon to take it's spot. Get another panda goby, Lemmiwinks Jr. :lol: They're sooooo cute :wub:

R.I.P.

Lemmiwinks
and others

11/21/11-
7/31/12

You should know that they died knowing they had a great time in your hands

So sorry :sad:

Most reactions

Back