Llj's 2010 8G "pre-Journal" Journal

You're talking about the last photo in the first post, right? Yeah, that is Dutch totally, and I've since weeded that one out. Been there done that. It's something you've not done, though. Might be interesting for you! I'm more interested now in the more rock garden type pictures and the one SuperColey sent me. Not so Dutch, kind of Nature style, but more creepy. :lol:

yeah, the last photo in the first post. Personally i'm not a big fan of the dutch scape (not that the creators don't deserve respect :lol: ). We need to see something a bit defferent, Coleys link is a great scape! Like he says in one of his posts though, its been done and done (IMO over done). Give us something different llj! :good:

You're taking a big leap if you're going for something like that tank I linked to.

I don't think I'd be confident enough to try something like that. Not for the plants because I (and yourself) would be confident of that but the rockwork in that tank is absolutely sensational.

Very hard to find the right rocks and the right sizes and then get them to go where you want etc. Not my forte but maybe something worth me learning (or at least attempting)

I'd go as far as saying that scape went straight into my 'TOP 10' ever favourite scapes!!!.

(lower down in that thread there is a picture of his inspiration for the scape and also the rockwork minus plants)

Hope you do try though. Learning curve and all that. I wonder how many attempts he had before getting his final hardscape where he wanted it? Maybe page 22 of a forum journal. lol (with no plants yet)

This is the first time I've read this journal of yours. Been tending to ignore the journals sections of most sites the past year or so :) Have been doing a lot of catching up on what others have been doing recently (not that I have a tank to start anything fresh in) Maybe I need to get of my bony rear and get creative again.

Those pictures in Italy are stunning Llj and you might guess that I would pick one that no-one else has. lol.

This is my favourite and I think it would be quite cool looking underwater:
DSC00978.jpg

I like the terraced style of Italian gardens.

Maybe I should do something inspired by my yearly visits to Portugal. Is quite easy to emulate the scenery. Empty tank of water. Let sand dry. Put one olive tree in ground and job done :lol: Just like a photograph :)

Wish you luck and please don't do a waterfall for a scape idea. I remember that sand waterfall but had forgotten all about it. That kinda tells a story don't you think? Novelty and a WOW then forgotten. Something good to learn and see if you can do it but not particularly 'cool' IMO. But then I never like what most people do.

Will keep checking back to see updates

AC

Note to Biulu, the scaper is from Mexico!

llj

Yes, I noticed that. Would love to contact that guy/girl: there are so few people into this hobby there! Well, not entirely true: there are many people keeping fish, but very little that keep planted tanks or do a bit more than having a undergravel filter and some gravel... Seen the plant choice though, I guess he is from the north, somewhere close to the border with the US...

I agree with you that you need rocks with more crevices to create the wall idea, although his hardscape hardly had any crevices. It looks like he used vulcano rock, which is very easy to get in Mexico, and the advantage is that it is easy for plants to establish itself on it.

Coleys link is a great scape! Like he says in one of his posts though, its been done and done (IMO over done). Give us something different llj! :good:

But if you read my post in that link I say that I've seen loads of 'Mountains with HC' etc. BUT that scape is something else. It is totally different to the others.

Why is it different? you ask...............because the aquascaper was creative. Not with the idea of the mountains. Not with the use of HC. It was because he did something all the others didn't do (or rather did.) He didn't manicure the HC to a fine layer. He made sure it looked like his vision. He left it to hang and trail (although I myself know he was trimming it all the way through) he left it to develop once grown for the last few weeks to create the effect.

In that way it is completely different to the other. Not something I've seen loads of times. Its all in the small detail here and that creativity turned this scape from very good to sensational. Like the difference between 2 paintings of the same subject where one is beautiful wher the other is absolutely jaw dropping. Same picture, different styles. Thats where originality comes into play.

AC

Coleys link is a great scape! Like he says in one of his posts though, its been done and done (IMO over done). Give us something different llj! :good:

But if you read my post in that link I say that I've seen loads of 'Mountains with HC' etc. BUT that scape is something else. It is totally different to the others.

Why is it different? you ask...............because the aquascaper was creative. Not with the idea of the mountains. Not with the use of HC. It was because he did something all the others didn't do (or rather did.) He didn't manicure the HC to a fine layer. He made sure it looked like his vision. He left it to hang and trail (although I myself know he was trimming it all the way through) he left it to develop once grown for the last few weeks to create the effect.

In that way it is completely different to the other. Not something I've seen loads of times. Its all in the small detail here and that creativity turned this scape from very good to sensational. Like the difference between 2 paintings of the same subject where one is beautiful wher the other is absolutely jaw dropping. Same picture, different styles. Thats where originality comes into play.

AC

Ianho, SuperColey1 has known me longer than you. He knows I always will do something different... :lol: Was doing low light when high was fashionable. Did Dutch & Jungle while Nature is fashionable. If I use HC, if I use it, may not, I'll use it creatively. I can see other ways to approach a scape like that & not use HC at all.

Llj

Most reactions

Back