Basics In Aquascaping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

if you do a search on here you'll find his tanks, he is also on the UKAPS forum, have a look though the journals on there, they're some great scapes.

if you do a search on here you'll find his tanks, he is also on the UKAPS forum, have a look though the journals on there, they're some great scapes.

Most of his journals are here too. I sometimes see him lurking about. :shifty:

Oh, bumpity, bump, bump. I worked too hard on this for it to be buried already. :lol:

Oh, bumpity, bump, bump. I worked too hard on this for it to be buried already. :lol:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a great post. Do you have any examples where pennywort is used in a scape? Do you think it is good for a focal point when used around driftood? I remember seeing it used so well around wood, but I can't find any of those pics now. It might be a good option for me, a I need to create some depth and you can put on pennyworts of varying sizes.

Good write-up, although I got a bit confused on the golden ratio too. Although interesting, perhaps it doesnt need quite as much detail?

wish I had read this a long time ago, agreed this needs to be pinned

Well, I just wrote it this past Saturday, so don't feel so bad about not reading it sooner! :lol: The most difficult part was narrowing down which tanks to use to represent the various styles. There were so many beautiful tanks from members here. My tank does not belong in this group, I'm afraid, and I'm heavily considering replacing it with Jimbooo's old Dutch style.

llj

Don't be too harsh, you know I love that little 8g :good: it fully deserves to stay there IMO.
Thanks for using my tanks too :good:

I love how the tank everyone is talking about was just considered a "nursery tank" too, shows how good Mark is at this game lol.

Good write-up, although I got a bit confused on the golden ratio too. Although interesting, perhaps it doesnt need quite as much detail?

And that was the "easy" version. Let me tell you, condensing that was difficult. I pretty much just glossed over it. Frankly, I would just scroll down to the "plug 'n play" equation. :lol: But there are some planted geeks out there that would like the detailed stuff, so I added the detail to please them.

Why is this not pinned yet! :crazy:

I'm going to pin it now.

This topic is pinned, however, please feel free to continue to make comments or ask questions regarding this thread. Also in the pinned topics is a comment and suggestion thread. Please, I like your imput on how this section is being run. If you have any suggestions, please post it in that topic.

llj

bless you lljdma06 for adding my tanks.

Great write up too.

It was by shear luck it ended up like that.The initial layout was iwagumi.

bless you lljdma06 for adding my tanks.

Great write up too.

It was by shear luck it ended up like that.The initial layout was iwagumi.

Adding your tanks, Saintly, was the easiest decision in that write-up.

I would add that whilst the Jungle scape can seem 'simple to create' that you do need to get it right from the off as it can very quickly just become a mess. A knowledge of the plants used in respect to how they grow in height and spread is needed or you can end up with huge plants overpowering the smaller plants and eventually just have a couple of species surviving.

Another key thing is that for a fully fledged Hi-tec jungle scape all the parameters need to be perfect due to the high plant mass. Circulation gets more problematic the higher the content of the aquarium and huge plant mass means more obstruction to the circulation. Very high turnover using large filters and circulation pumps are a necessity if the scape is hitec to ensure that CO2 and nutrients are distributed well as there will be many more dead spots appearing with low circulation as the plants grow and grow.

As an example my scape on P1 started with just under 6x turnover and as it grew in it had algae problems. I increased it with a circulation pump to nearly 20x turnover and the algae disappeared within a week as the CO2 and nutrient delivery improved. Now the tank is non CO2, no nutrient addition and lower light I have returned to just the 6x turnover. The algae has not returned though.

Many people do use high turnover in all scapes even a low Iwagumi. More of a better safe than sorry approach in my eyes as there shouldn't be as much of a circulation/flow issue in these types of scape.

AC

A beutiful thread, amazing job! :good:

Thank you... The worst part about doing this article was deciding which tanks to pick from our members to represent the various styles. That was a chore. So many beautiful scapes.

Awesome thread.

lljdma06, in the picture below, what is the name of the plant circled in red? Thanks :D
tank.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back