Little help with my new 50 Gallon Tank?

dorian

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a Juwel 50 gallon tank and i need some advice on what fish to keep with my existing ones.

I have

2 Clown Loach
2 Silver Sharks
5 Neon tetras
1 Albino Plec
3 Glowlights

I really want to eventually introduce a couple of new fish into the community but i keep getting contradicting information from everyone i speak to.

My girlfriend really wants a red parrot, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't get on with the smaller fish, is this right?

If anyone could answer that and maybe suggest some nice fish that would co-exist with my others it would be great.

Thanks

Well the clown loaches and the silver sharks need really big tank like 90 to 100 gals, are they small fish at the moment.

Yeah, the clown loach are about an inch and a half long and the sharks are about 2 inches.

i made the mistake of listening to someone in a shop and bought them when i first started. i've had them for about 7 months and they haven't grown much at all.

They should be fine for now then, I would build the glow light tetra up to a bigger shoal then they will look stunning.

You don't want the red parrot. Mine are very aggressive not for a peaceful community tank. Have larger angels in tank with them and they even attack them at times.

double the neon school and triple the glowlights. my theory on tetras is big tanks should have big schools! esp. with something like neons that have such tiny bioloads.

Are the silver sharks bala sharks or columbian catfish? Do they have whiskers at all?

If they have whiskers, they are probably columbian catfish and should be in a brackish set-up, not to mention they are a major threat to your tetras. They can swallow something up tp 67% of their own size. They also get VERY large. :nod:

As for the clown loaches, I would suggest a bigger tank for them. ATLEAST a 75 gallon, but a 90 gallon+ would be preferred. But clown loaches are pretty slow growers. I have 2 clown loaches that are a little over 2 years old and they are only about 5 inches. :nod:

I would add more neons and glo-lites to get the shoal bigger. :thumbs: If you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank in a few years, I would suggest maybe another clown loach or two. What about gouramis? :dunno:

A suggestion would be to look at fish that inhabit the upper water levels such as zebra danios and the likes off, this would balance the tank abit more with your mid swimmers and bottom dwellers.

Hope this helps....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back