Lights in tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OrkyBetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Should you keep tank lights on all day and night, or turn them on and off? If so, when? I do not have live plants, do I even need light? What do they do?

Turn them on and off, anywhere from 8-12 hours of lighting is sufficient. Yes you need light even without plants. Fish like lights just like we do!

Ok, thanks! I usually turned them off at night, but someone at my LFS said to keep them on all day.

If you don't have live plants, I would only burn the lights during times that you want to view them. If you burn them too much without live plants, you will probably start to get an algae build up, especially if you are overstocked, over feeding or not doing water changes frequently enough. The fish will get plenty of light during the day just from the ambient sunlight in the room (unless it is extremely dark in the room) and also from the times you have the light on while you are home to view them. Also, make sure the tank isn't too close to any window or doorway that it gets direct sunlight as that is a surefire way to get a huge algae problem. Definitely don't leave the lights on all the time as fish need dark time to rest just like we do, especially nocturnal fish like corys who like to play after the lights go off.

pseud said:
Turn them on and off, anywhere from 8-12 hours of lighting is sufficient. Yes you need light even without plants. Fish like lights just like we do!
Actually most fish live in water alot darker than any found in tank...due to plants and the water clouding and just general pollution in most area to...

during the day if you tank is bright enough inside to see right to the back and you see good detail on your fish...you can actually leave the light off..this will not do any harn to the fish and may help fight off any algae... do not however put your tank where it get direct sunlight this will cause unwanted algae...

If you feel you need the light on to enjoy your fish ( watching them ) then leave it on during the day and turn it off at night..

:thumbs:

Grey Legion said:
pseud said:
Actually most fish live in water alot darker than any found in tank...due to plants and the water clouding and just general pollution in most area to...

during the day if you tank is bright enough inside to see right to the back and you see good detail on your fish...you can actually leave the light off..this will not do any harn to the fish and may help fight off any algae... do not however put your tank where it get direct sunlight this will cause unwanted algae...

If you feel you need the light on to enjoy your fish ( watching them ) then leave it on during the day and turn it off at night..

:thumbs:
I agree! Especially as there are no plants at all!

Eight hours is about right. I put the light on for two hours in the morning and six hours in the evening(so I can watch them). I have plants and they grow well. Too little light and you get brown algae and too much and you get green algae. The fish get some natural light anyway during the daytime.I used to leave the light on all day until I read this information somewhere. :)

Most reactions

Back