Life And Growth Of A Fancy Guppy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flame Heart

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! :lol:

This is now my journal about my lone fancy guppy fry that I found when me and my mom were cleaning the tank. I was so surprised he survived since we use a gravel pump to clean the tank! Now he is in a 3-4 gallon fishbowl with a plastic plant, for about 2 more weeks then we will move him into a divided-off section of the main tank so he can get used to the other fish and so he will have filtered water to live in also. Here are some pictures of his parents.

His 2 possible fathers:

6enmr.jpg

WbUQD.jpg

And his 2 possible mothers:

5PSDx.jpg

8VQoQ.jpg

(sorry for the size of this one! :look: )

And the main tank that he is going to live in:

vdSJf.jpg

I don't know what gender he/she is yet, its very young. =P

Oh and here is a picture of him:

sBK13.jpg

Feel free to post comments and help and I will try to take pictures when he/she has grown bigger! :good:

Hi FH,

Congrats for being able to spot your one and only guppy fry.

I believe you are going to take care of him or her (him) well after reading your explanation.

IMHO, by the time you want put him at his own surrounding, he will be big enough not to be eaten by other fish in the main tank. His safety is not at stake.

Thanks guys! I will try to get another pic of him soon in his new environment - we finally put him in the divider in the tank! Unfortunately, the divider is very cloudy from hard water deposit from when we used it last. And, he only has a small portion of the tank, about one 6th. :blink: I had hoped my mom would've given him at *least* one 5th. Oh well. :sad:

He is getting a tiny tiny black dot in his tail but only I can see a tiny shade of orange. :fun: Arg! Why do I keep calling he/she a he. :crazy:

Back again! He/she is getting a little bit bigger and I am happy! If you concentrate on its tail you will see 2 black lines one on the top of its tail and one on the bottom, and a tad bit of light orange in the middle. :hyper: Although, one of his supposed fathers (the blue) has split tail and maybe fin rot. :unsure: I put in some Aquarium Salt so I hope that will help him. The other father's tail is getting bigger, yet its color of the regrowth is not as striking at all as it was. :sad:

Well, I will hopefully be able to get a picture of him at the next cleaning we do; have a good day! :good:

Edit: So, I managed to get some pictures of him/her today, I will try to get more when we clean the tank again. (which should be soon)

YUgF0.jpg

Here is a update of the tank with the divider in it, I hope I can convince my mom to give him/her a little more space or maybe let him out at the next cleaning. He/she is about 1 cm long now.

oXJXS.jpg

Here is his/her poor tankmate with his split tail.

3xkV7.jpg

Here is the most recent picture of him/her. (you can sorta see his markings)

P6i6s.jpg

And, here is a picture I took of him/her like 2 weeks ago but failed to upload.

So I'm thinking that his/her dad is the orange/red one, so I'm happy!

Our little lone fry is getting bigger and thriving. His/her colors are really coming in, and he/she is now at least 1.5cm now! :hyper: We are releasing him/her into the big tank next week! :p Here is a recent picture after a water change.

TTumK.jpg

FH, that little fry of yours is so cute!

O.K., since you have an empty tank, I would like to suggest you keep him in it and let it be his grow up tank temporarily. Feed him frequently but at a quantity just enough to fill his tummy. 6 to 8 little feedings per day should be suffice. If you don't opportunity to feed him yourselg, try to get your mum to help you out. WC about 50% every 2 days and in no time, your one and only fry will grow much faster than it is now.

Please see my guppies when they were 2 months old as per linked:-

Fry @ 2 mths

Okay, but we don't have a extra filter...so that would be a problem. If we do get one would you suggest the bowl or the 1-2 gal tank?

FH, most of my filters are DIY. It is easy as you can see at this link:-

DIY Filter

I would like to suggest a 1-2 gal tank, it is much more easy to maintain and it can be doubled up as a hospital tank when not in use.

That looks easy, but it would take up most of my 1-2gal tank. And I don't think I have piping or air stones. I could take a picture of the 1-2gal that I have right now, my aquatic frog is doing fine in it without a filter. :p

Big update! We have released the guppy (now named Skittles) into the big tank and me and my mom watched him/her for about 5-10 mins then she had to go. The sad thing is, I can't find Skittles anywhere now! I'm really scared that he/she was eaten up. :-( What are the chances do you think that Skittles is still alive? I'll be watching for her/him all the time for like the next half an hour. :-(

Edit: Scratch that, I just saw Skittles. So releived and happy! :hyper: :yahoo:

Skittles is doing fine, swimming and eating amongst the adults like one of them. He either may be trying to protect or eat a new addition of newborn guppy fry. I just saw it a few minutes ago and I am so happy! The mother is probably Lemondrop, she has been squared off for quite a while now. If this little fry survives I am very interested as to what colors it will have! :hyper: So far I have only seen one newborn. I'll try to get a picture of Skittles soon!

Skittles is doing great, the other little guy is growing up and getting some color on her (I think) tail. The sad thing is 2 of my guppies died recently, within about a week of each-other. :-( They both died in the same plant, and the female was really thin, so I hope it wasn't some disease. :no:

Can it be possible the guppies were trying to avoid your zebra danio that always dashed around the tank quickly and got themselves stucked at the plants?

Most reactions

Back