Knife livebearers

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Overhere some pics of my knife livebearers (Alfaro cultratus). This livebearer species origins from Nicaragua, Panama and Costa Rica where it inhabits shallow waters like rivers (mainly shoreline), ditches and creeks with mainly a low till moderate water flow. But sometimes they also occur in fast flowing waters.
It's a peaceful livebearer species but it will be noticed that they're present by their liveliness. So, some open space is preferable.
They can be kept at room temperature. I've even kept them outdoors from spring till mid fall. So, they even were thriving well at lower temperatures and they've reproduced themselves outdoors.
IMG_1935.JPGIMG_1936.JPGIMG_1938.JPGIMG_1933.JPGIMG_1934.JPG

Overhers ome pics of my knife livebearers. This livebearer species origins from Nicaragua, Panama and Costa Rica where it inhabits shallow waters like rivers (mainly shoreline), ditches and creeks with mainly a low till moderate water flow. But sometimes they also occur in fast flowing waters.
It's a peaceful livebearer species but it will be noticed that they're present by their liveliness. So, some open space is preferable.
They can be kept at room temperature. I've even kept them outdoors from spring till mid fall. So, they even were thriving well at lower temperatures and they've reproduced themselves outdoors.
View attachment 338511View attachment 338512View attachment 338513View attachment 338514View attachment 338515
Really pretty colors!!

Wikipedia: "often kept in home aquaria"
LOL
and most of us have never heard of them..
You do know that lots of Wikipedia items are made by regular persons? So, not always by scientists. If Wikipedia says "often kept in home aquaria" regarding these livebearers, there must be something wrong about that remark.

Alfaro cultratus.

There's not that much color on them. But if the light hits their bodies a blue-greenish shine is visible.

not a very good pic, but as you say Get them in the right light the blue can really stand out.
I'd like to get A. huberi back in my collection They're very difficult to find these days.
IMG_6375 - Copy.JPG

not a very good pic, but as you say Get them in the right light the blue can really stand out.
I'd like to get A. huberi back in my collection They're very difficult to find these days.
I'm looking for those as well. I hope to get my hands on some when we have another livebearer meeting in Germany.
Now, I'm prepping for this coming Sunday when we have the AquaTerra Event. Just finished labeling to put on those small contrainers. Those labels are waterproof. Most will be guppies and endlers. But also some other wild livebearer species. This particular expo is more focused on colored fish. But I do know that there will be visitors who show up specifically for those wild livebearer species. So, I'll bring along dusky millions fish, least killifish, dwarf mery widows, kallmani swordtails, skiffia multipunctata, Limia nigrofasciata and some Xiphophorus pygmaeus. That should be enough besides those guppy and endler strains.

I'm looking for those as well. I hope to get my hands on some when we have another livebearer meeting in Germany.
Now, I'm prepping for this coming Sunday when we have the AquaTerra Event. Just finished labeling to put on those small contrainers. Those labels are waterproof. Most will be guppies and endlers. But also some other wild livebearer species. This particular expo is more focused on colored fish. But I do know that there will be visitors who show up specifically for those wild livebearer species. So, I'll bring along dusky millions fish, least killifish, dwarf mery widows, kallmani swordtails, skiffia multipunctata, Limia nigrofasciata and some Xiphophorus pygmaeus. That should be enough besides those guppy and endler strains.
good luck on Sunday, I'm going to the BLA auction next month. With no doubt i will be coming back with something interesting.

good luck on Sunday, I'm going to the BLA auction next month. With no doubt i will be coming back with something interesting.
Thanks. Let us know what new assests you'll be bringing home.
oh man, I want more tanks I want more tanks I want more tanks I want more tanks!!! o_O o_O o_O o_O :oops::oops::oops::cool::cool:
Hmmm, and why is that...? ;)

Most reactions

Back