Kissing Gourami Pair At Lfs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeckyCats

Fishaholic
Reaction score
While I was at my LFS yesterday, they had 2 large kissing gouramis that someone had relinquished to them because they outgrew the 20 gallon tank they had been put in (don't people research the fish before they buy them or at least read the little cards that are in the stores that say how big they get? Sheesh, people!). Anyway, so there are these 2 large, white fish, gently mouthing at each other and looking at me like, "take us home! Take us home!"

Of course, the problem with that is that I do not have a suitable home for them at the moment. I only have a 55 gallon tank and it is stocked. I have done some minor research on these fish and apparently they are fairly aggressive to each other. Is it uncommon for them to be "a bonded pair" as the LFS employee described them? They seemed to be peaceful towards each other. Also, one had an eye with a much smaller pupil. Is that bad? I was told it always had that and it has not been harmed, but you never know when people give away their animals if the animal is sick and the owner just doesn't want to admit it because they are afraid it will be put down.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this pair? I know they are relatively common species, but how about as a pair that gets along?

Here's what they look like. They are a little ugly, but in a cute way. I like them.

Attachments

• IMG_20160425_163211087.jpg
    IMG_20160425_163211087.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20160425_163118204.jpg
    IMG_20160425_163118204.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 182
This is one of those species that many in the hobby would like to see unavailable without special ordering.  It is not a "community" fish for the home aquarium.  They grow to 12 inches/30 cm, and should have at minimum a 90g tank.  Then, they are not peaceful fish, but quite aggressive.  It should be in a small group, which may confine the aggression to the species; it will easily and readily eat smaller fish.

It interestingly shares features with some of the larger cichlids: the jaw-locking (the inappropriately-named "kissing") aggressive behaviour, and the extendable mouthparts with teeth designed to rasp algae from rocks. The jaw-locking between fish may often lead to jaw damage, and fish with jaw damage may be unable to eat; if persistent, one of the fish usually dies after a few weeks. This aggressive behaviour is not only related to breeding and male territory, but also occurs to defend feeding areas. The fish may also decide to take out this aggression on other species in the aquarium.

The pinkish-white fish seen in the hobby is actually a selectively-bred leucistic [reduced pigmentation] form; the natural fish is a dark greenish colour, and is a popular food fish in SE Asia.

The relative peacefulness of these two may be due to their being females (there are no external gender differences), or from stress due to their unhappy lot up to now.  Fish can react to small spaces/inappropriate environment by becoming shy and timid as well as becoming even more aggressive (the latter is the normal response), so one never knows how long this may or may not last.

Byron.

Poor critters. I don't know why stores sell certain species considering that they are so bad as pets for the average person. They should be available only through special order by advanced hobbyists who know what they're getting into. These guys can live for 2+ decades! I saw alligator gars for sale at one local fish store. Seriously! Alligator gars. I asked if these were the same alligator gars that get to be longer than people and they said yes. How can people keep them? I asked. The store employee said, "Oh, people who get these know what they're buying." I said I doubt it. You know these are going to end up being released into local ponds and rivers. "Nah!" he chuckled.

Anyway, back to the fishys at hand. The pair above are being offered to anyone with a 75 gallon tank or larger. I am glad they are at least sticking to a minimum tank size. In the future, I would like to have a large tank, maybe 100 - 200ish gallons or so, but that is not going to happen soon enough for this pair. I'll probably be checking on them frequently until they get a home. I'll be worrying about them.  

Just checked and they're still there. I really wish I could get a new tank. I would love to see this poor pair have room to swim around, nibbling at rocks and such.

Cute fish. I really like cichlids... too bad I only have a 10 gallon... lol. Next tank I get will probably be a 60 gallon freshwater (or possibly reef ;))

Someone adopted them! I am so relieved! I sure hope they are swimming in a nice big tank now and are happy! Hurray!
yahoo.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back