Keeping Fish Is Cruel?

Really? Where?
mexico There as been a new location found a few years ago it isn't clear whether these are an original population. or it may be possible they were put thre from a another location so they are not quite extinct in the wild

I don't think it is crule but could see why someone would say that. I think keeping parrot is more crule or clipping the wings being down right wrong. I grew up with bird too but we never clip the wings ever. Keeping dogs is in no way crule unless you abuse them or keeping them locked up. My dogs have the sweet life. Free food, love, warm home, water, vet care, walks, play time, everything. Cats only when kept indoors would I see that as a little bit cruel. But indoor out door cats have it made.

The conflicting thing I deal with keeping fish is how environmentally harmful it can be. A waste of water and energy. Shipping fish is a waste of gas and time. But yet at the same time wild caught fish give jobs to poor areas. But on the flip side they deplete habitats of these fish. The collection sites get destroyed. Then don't get me started on fish farms. They cause lots of problems with meds and hormons getting into people drinking water. These treatments they use on farms also effect the wild fish and animals. Then Fish get out and making it hard for native fish to live some even wipe out native fish all together.

So keeping fish in the tank is really not the problem.

The conflicting thing I deal with keeping fish is how environmentally harmful it can be. A waste of water and energy. Shipping fish is a waste of gas and time. But yet at the same time wild caught fish give jobs to poor areas. But on the flip side they deplete habitats of these fish. The collection sites get destroyed. Then don't get me started on fish farms. They cause lots of problems with meds and hormons getting into people drinking water. These treatments they use on farms also effect the wild fish and animals. Then Fish get out and making it hard for native fish to live some even wipe out native fish all together.

So keeping fish in the tank is really not the problem.

That's quite a conflicting statement in itself. The fish farms only exist because there is a demand for the fish in tanks, so it is the fish keeping demand that causes all of those problems.

It wastes water sure, but I live where the water is taken from a river, so not like in London where the reservoirs are empty. And in terms of the energy waste, I only have to look at where I work and tonight, there are literally hundreds of very powerful lights turned on where nobody is working. Turning off my fish tank isn't really going to make a difference compared to this. I also think the whole global warming thing is nonsense, so if I can afford it, I don't care about the energy waste.

dogs and cats have been bred and domesticated over hundreds (if not thousands) of years, to get to the point they are now. fish however, are just fish. with no discernible difference bewtween a wild caught fish and ones bred in shops. obviously there is quite a difference between wild dogs and your fluffy little yorkie terrier that lays claim to the couch.

point is, the dogs and cats we have now are bred for homelife, where ever that home is - obviously you need to select your dog based on the level of care/space you can give it. with fish, particuarly wild caught fish, you could argue its cruel. to say 'but the fish wont get eaten in my tank", i dont go with it. survival of the fittest, every animal has its place in the food chain for a reason.

Most reactions

Back