Keeping Fish Is Cruel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stephanie87

Reaction score
Someone I know recently told me I was 'cruel' for keeping fish locked up in a 'bowl'
Of course no type of captivity is nice......but you could say the same thing to people who own cats and dogs? and actually I like to think that I take better care of my fish than SOME (note: not 'all') people take of their dogs (no offence intended, I am referring to the fact that I live in a city centre where I have seen many dogs mistreated!)

But surely if you take the best care of your fish that you can, and ensure they have a healthy and happy environment to live in- then that is not cruel.

what is everyone's opinion on this?
at least my fish never have to worry about turning into fish food for bigger fish like they would in the wild!

Steph
x

if kept in optimum conditions then they're generally better of in tanks as there is no predation or lack of food.

Hi Steph,

I couldn't agree more. I keep tropical fish rather than anything else for two reasons.

1. I live in central London but grew up in the country and always had several dogs. Keeping dogs in London is not fare, they need plenty of outdoor space (unless you are the Queen, no garden in central London is large enough), and who takes care of/is company for your dog while you are working long hours. One exception, you have a handbag dog and you don't work so the dog is with you all the time.

2. I am a scuba diver, and I know that a well kept tank is a much better environment than many fish face in environment that we humans pollute and man-handle when we are in it. You can leave your tank and go to work, you can even leave it to go on holiday with a little forward planning.

Yes, in an ideal world we would not keep pets of any description, as doing so impacts the environment and wild habitats. However, pets can have a huge benefit for our well-being, and because of that point, if you can provide a good life for your pet, go for it. If not don't!

My only note is do what you can but the bigger the tank the better. It does not mean you have to have bigger fish, just that it creates a more stable environment for what you have.

That's me off my soap box. Keep your fish, plants, snails etc.... and enjoy them Steph, and don't let the kill-joys get you down!

Best.

George

Many thanks for that George! I'm not sure why I allowed myself to get upset over it, but I care about my fish so much and I couldn't bare the thought that I was potentially cruel for keeping them.

So thanks very much for your very wise words :)

Steph x

Hi Steph,

I couldn't agree more. I keep tropical fish rather than anything else for two reasons.

1. I live in central London but grew up in the country and always had several dogs. Keeping dogs in London is not fare, they need plenty of outdoor space (unless you are the Queen, no garden in central London is large enough), and who takes care of/is company for your dog while you are working long hours. One exception, you have a handbag dog and you don't work so the dog is with you all the time.

2. I am a scuba diver, and I know that a well kept tank is a much better environment than many fish face in environment that we humans pollute and man-handle when we are in it. You can leave your tank and go to work, you can even leave it to go on holiday with a little forward planning.

Yes, in an ideal world we would not keep pets of any description, as doing so impacts the environment and wild habitats. However, pets can have a huge benefit for our well-being, and because of that point, if you can provide a good life for your pet, go for it. If not don't!

My only note is do what you can but the bigger the tank the better. It does not mean you have to have bigger fish, just that it creates a more stable environment for what you have.

That's me of my soap box. Keep your fish, plants, snails etc.... and enjoy them Steph, and don't let the kill-joys get you down!

Best.

George

Fishkeeping also helps to secure a 'stock' that could survive if there was a natural or man made disaster. Some fish in captivity are found in only select parts of the world that are currently under threat.
In the animal world, man has caused devastation with some species and they would have become extinct if they were not kept in captivity. It does not necessarily mean that captivity was the right thing in the first place.

very good point!! thanks x

Fishkeeping also helps to secure a 'stock' that could survive if there was a natural or man made disaster. Some fish in captivity are found in only select parts of the world that are currently under threat.
In the animal world, man has caused devastation with some species and they would have become extinct if they were not kept in captivity. It does not necessarily mean that captivity was the right thing in the first place.

For fish like Cichlids, surely they take up a cave and habit one small area and only venture far away for food?

Also they're going to get eaten by a bigger fish eventually, and diseases cannot be treated in the wild.

I agree that they're locked up which isn't perfect, but a big enough tank kept well, I don't see the problem.

if kept in optimum conditions then they're generally better of in tanks as there is no predation or lack of food.
i agree 100% with you here.
They are probably better off in my kitchen, than in the never ending depths of water in West Africa.
This person obviously doesn't have a clue!!

Erm, isn't it really harsh on ants when it rains?
I mean, i have never seen an ant umbrella!

Hi Steph,

That's me off my soap box. Keep your fish, plants, snails etc.... and enjoy them Steph, and don't let the kill-joys get you down!

Best.

George

Here here George, very well said.

I think if they said a bowl then that is slightly different than a tank. Imo it is definately wrong to keep a fish in a bowl i.e goldfish, a lot of people think they dont need filters etc and they have very poor life quality let alone get too big for the bowl!!

Where as if they did mean a tank over a bowl then its fine as long as they are looked after as per above :)

off topic.. but..

one time an uk based anti child labour charity resqued 100s of childrens from an cloths making factary in india.

two months later.. charity workers went back to see the prograss.

90% of the childrens r now prostitutes and 10% of them died in hunger.

local ppl chased the charity workers out of the town with broom sticks..

see... world is changing... change with it..

Someone I know recently told me I was 'cruel' for keeping fish locked up in a 'bowl'
Of course no type of captivity is nice......but you could say the same thing to people who own cats and dogs? and actually I like to think that I take better care of my fish than SOME (note: not 'all') people take of their dogs (no offence intended, I am referring to the fact that I live in a city centre where I have seen many dogs mistreated!)

But surely if you take the best care of your fish that you can, and ensure they have a healthy and happy environment to live in- then that is not cruel.
Well if you keep the fish in an inadequately sized tank and give it a lot of care, it doesn't matter, it is still creul.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back