Juwel Filter Media Arrangement

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jimbo1984

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Juwel Rio 125 with the old Compact H (High?!?!) filter system. I have the sponges arranged in the following order:

Poly Pad
Coarse Sponge
Coarse Sponge
Fine Sponge
Fine Sponge

I don't bother with a Carbon sponge unless i've been treating the tank.

Anyway, I spotted the new Cirax media Juwel make so bought a box online. I was thinking it was only 1/2 the depth of a blue sponges like the carbon sponge and would therefore sit on top of the fine sponges in the middle.

It turns out the Cirax boxes are the same size as the blue sponges.

So, which one to replace...

Is it actually beneficial swapping out a sponge? If so, which? I'm thinking 2nd coarse sponge down.

Thanks!

if it were me i would probably swap the 2 middle sponges and add the cirax 1 by 1. first one and then the other 3-4 weeks later. I took the nitrate and the carbon sponges out of mine and its doing a good job.

So you'd definitely go with ceramic media over sponges? Have you got Cirax in yours?

I'll swap out the 2nd coarse sponge for now I think. Might well get another box though like you suggested.

Is it that much more effective than a sponge?

i have 2 cirax boxes in my filter with 4 sponges. Ceramic media holds alot more nitrifying bacteria, due to the higher surface area. They will last longer than sponges, the water will flow better through ceramic media.

cirax media is £3 a box and lasts for a year or more.

oh well, £3 isn't much of a dent in anyones wallet really.

I agree, plus you get the box so there's less messing about with filter bags that aren't designed to fit.

I'm just deciding on what media to put in my filter, compact model in a rekord 70. Think I'm going to go for 2 fine pads at the bottom, then course and possibly a 2nd course or a cirax, then the white wool at the top. Going for a cheap alternative to the juwel 'Johns' on flea bay looks good.

What do people think?

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back