Juwel Aquarium Light Tubes

You can just change the ballast.

The sticky above covers the basics really and it's not hard to do at all. Cheaper than buying an arcadia unit, plus it will still look as it does now. Just make sure you seal it all back up perfectly and change the end caps every so often, as that's where the water tends to get in, which in turn, ruins the ballast.

Mine would flick on for a second everytime I turned them on, then nothing. After taking it apart, all it turned out to be was water inside.. so drilling a little hole, draining and allowing to dry before sealing, might just be all it needs.

You can start by replacing the broken bulb as IAAT suggested but if that doesn't fix it you will be no worse off. Then you could go replace the ballast as AL suggested since that is the most likely culprit aside from a broken bulb. I have replaced 3 different ballasts in the last few years on my lighting fixtures and each time it worked well on the first try. As AL said, it is not difficult to do.

You can start by replacing the broken bulb as IAAT suggested but if that doesn't fix it you will be no worse off. Then you could go replace the ballast as AL suggested since that is the most likely culprit aside from a broken bulb. I have replaced 3 different ballasts in the last few years on my lighting fixtures and each time it worked well on the first try. As AL said, it is not difficult to do.

Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated given the current goings on :good:

I do aim to try a bulb first, typically though the only shop local to me that sells all things juwel is closed today with it being good friday.

Next I will check for water and pray that 'always learning' may be correct. Will save many pennies if they are :lol:

Hopefully I won't have to replace, the ballast but will do if required. Was mainly hoping that it would be a quick fix job as I quite miss seeing my fish already :sad:

You are not limited to buying the bulb from a fixture manufacturer unless they have a proprietary size or pin layout that others are not allowed to use. Most of the bulbs we use can be obtained in any decent home improvement center. They will also be much cheaper than buying the same bulb with a fish picture on the packaging. I believe that Truck has suggested a possible source for the lights if it appeals to you.

Alternatively if it is that the ballast in gone, what alternatives do I have for lighting the tank? Bearing in mind I need to keep it covered as I have childrens and cats :X

buy some Arcadia units to replace them. unless you are up to doing dorscys trick. and even then, I'd go for the Arcadia option. true the ballast's will no longer be in the hood (more wires). but they will last a good time, unlike the juwel items.

Was kind of hoping someone could suggest a cheaper option :lol:

lol, sorry. but its cheaper, than a new juwel unit. whilst not suggesting anybody, else, is wrong. I'm just, personally, uncomfortable placing live 240v ballasts (not designed for the purpose) in a high moisture environment. perhaps i'm just too careful/cautious. but then i was a Sparks (building).

I do not place live ballasts inside a hood Raptorrex, I run the wires outside and mount them on the back and out of sight. It also means that they run cooler than a ballast mounted inside the hood and they last much longer than the original equipment that came with the tank.

I do not place live ballasts inside a hood Raptorrex, I run the wires outside and mount them on the back and out of sight. It also means that they run cooler than a ballast mounted inside the hood and they last much longer than the original equipment that came with the tank.

Aah! You may be onto something there, good thinking :good:

EDIT: I've been doing some hacking.

I was doing some googling and came across somebody mentioning opening up the ballast and finding a circuit that needed soldering.

This set me off on my mission with a glint in my eye and a cheeky grin on my face, only to be disappointed at my findings. :( Nothing looks blown and the circuits all look fine. I've messed with circuits on cars before doing repairs so I kind of know what I'm looking for but no luck. Suppose something could still be knackered without looking it though could it?

So then, now I have it open I may as well replace the ballast anyway.

So where do I look for a new one?

I have no clue where to look or what type I'd need etc.

Spotted what I'm after but can't find any 2x 45w ones :no:

Having checked, I never said you did. or come to that, mention your comments.

however the link to the repair does. whilst that fix was very well done. i have seen other attempts, that are frighteningly, unsafe. (imo) I came across a "household"(ballast) unit just screwed into the lid. with no attempt to make water tight.

getting back to "Arcadia" style units. you can get two units for £35 inc postage. though no bulbs:crazy: and you can place the "new" unit leads in the juwel hood. (with a little adaption. or just wire the leads to the old fittings).
not saying it is the "only" way to do it. just another option, is all.

I'm getting all conf00sed now :S

In the sticky on repairing at the top of the hardware section I read that lids with a blue sticker are T5's. However looking at the ballast it says it's a T8.

Plus it's a 2x58w ballast...surely this would be overpowering the 2 45w bulbs and shortening their life?

So to finish my confusion off I have -

A ballast with no dampness/condensation/signs of melting anywhere.

So what do I try first ballast or bulbs?

Bearing in mind my budget is tight what with our ever so reliable discovery being parked outside and acting not so reliable :lol:

I'm getting all conf00sed now :S

In the sticky on repairing at the top of the hardware section I read that lids with a blue sticker are T5's. However looking at the ballast it says it's a T8.

Plus it's a 2x58w ballast...surely this would be overpowering the 2 45w bulbs and shortening their life?

So to finish my confusion off I have -

A ballast with no dampness/condensation/signs of melting anywhere.

So what do I try first ballast or bulbs?

Bearing in mind my budget is tight what with our ever so reliable discovery being parked outside and acting not so reliable :lol:

juwel units come in both T8 and T5 flavours. depending on age, i think. :good:

The blue sticker shows the country of origin, not the type of ballast, blue is Germany, red is China.

Juwel out sourced to china for a few months and then came back to Germany due to the lower quality products.

Most reactions

Back