Juwel Aquarium Light Tubes

Big_eyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I don't understand what's wrong with them but they go off after a second of being on. One doesn't seem to be trying too hard to come on.

Do they not work if one of them has blown?

Hiya,
Not had them myself

But, from posts i've read here n there you've hit the nail on the head, they seem to flash on/off if one tube is fubar

No doubt someone having had the same problem will 100% confirm this

Hope that helps

Tony

I had this a while back, then it happened again a few weeks later, I found it was the connections that were dirty causing the problem.

Take the tubes out and give the end parts and the parts they go into (sorry not technical person to know what they are actually called, but you get my drift) a good clean, make sure everything is done up tightly and try again.

If that doesnt work, then likely one of the tubes (or both) are on their way out and need replacing, if its not the tubes, its the starter unit inside I guess.

not sure what unit its is but there r little white things that come out they could of gone i found this with one of mine

A light that goes off fairly quickly is often the result of a bad ballast. When starting, a ballast runs the voltage high to get the lamp going and then steps the voltage down for reliable long running. If it fails to make the switch properly, the light just goes off. Another less common reason would be a heat problem where a connection warms up and expands slightly and the connection between wires opens up as the heat expands the wires. A one second effect is unlikely to happen that way because it takes time to heat up anything. I had a car that would quit running after a few minutes that had that problem in the ignition coil. When it warmed up, I stopped getting a spark. That one was a hard one to diagnose, at least for me.

Is this a new aquarium...or more specifically, are they new lights? I'm only saying that because if they are and have never worked properly then it could be the rocker switch that is faulty. I had to replace mine on two new tanks (Rekord 600 & 800) with much better units that I got from Maplins because both original switches were arcing when powered on due to poor electrical contacts. Quite probably not what's happening in your case, but thought it worth a mention.

Have a look at this sticky, not syaing that is the problem but might help.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/265546-fixing-juwel-light-bar/

I too am in the same situation, I purchased a tank second hand with lights advertised as working but got them home and they don't. The sellers just saying that they were working when I took them so I've been looking at the above thread and wondering if I should start butchering the light unit or stump up £77 for a new unit?

Juwel light bars, like so much of their gear, have problems. to be honest i'd rip out the juwel ballast's and buy some Arcadia units to replace them. unless you are up to doing dorscys trick. and even then, I'd go for the Arcadia option. true the ballast's will no longer be in the hood (more wires). but they will last a good time, unlike the juwel items.

Honestly, this is a common problem with juwel lights. if its new, take it back to where you got it. if its less than 28days old, exchange is automatic (the item, in law, is assumed to have been faulty on purchase). after that, still return it to the shop (all items come with a full 12 month guarantee, via the maker, but the shop is the go between). if the LFS is, err, unhelpful, contact juwel in Germany. if you have no luck there, its off to trading standards. its not commonly know. but if you buy an iten, from a shop, they have a responsibility that lasts for 6 years. it depends on cost and use though.

Juwel light bars, like so much of their gear, have problems. to be honest i'd rip out the juwel ballast's and buy some Arcadia units to replace them. unless you are up to doing dorscys trick. and even then, I'd go for the Arcadia option. true the ballast's will no longer be in the hood (more wires). but they will last a good time, unlike the juwel items.

Honestly, this is a common problem with juwel lights. if its new, take it back to where you got it. if its less than 28days old, exchange is automatic (the item, in law, is assumed to have been faulty on purchase). after that, still return it to the shop (all items come with a full 12 month guarantee, via the maker, but the shop is the go between). if the LFS is, err, unhelpful, contact juwel in Germany. if you have no luck there, its off to trading standards. its not commonly know. but if you buy an item, from a shop, they have a responsibility that lasts for 6 years. it depends on cost and use though.

You have to have both tubs working and not just one or they will flash on and off.

Ok ta for the help so far...

Just to add a bit of further info...

The tank sadly isn't new, I got it around 6 months ago second hand but still pretty new. I've had a nose tonight and after giving myself an electric shock remembered to unplug them. :lol:

Anyway, the bulbs are different - one is a 'natural' (slight yellowy) and one is something else (nice and white). Anyway the 'natural' one seems to have a crack in it at one end but underneath the glass and one of the prongs on the end of it is quite black. Also the metal part with said prongs attached is quite loose and twistable. This I would assume would mean it was blown but each end of it still glows slighty as it tries to light. :huh: The other bulb looks as though it is right on the brink of lighting fully but goes off still.

If I wobble the one with the loose end the bulbs try to light but still go out after flickering.

Do I risk trying to find a new bulb?

Alternatively if it is that the ballast in gone, what alternatives do I have for lighting the tank? Bearing in mind I need to keep it covered as I have childrens and cats :X

If the bulb has a crack then it's only a matter of time before the gases inside escape and get filled with air, when this happens even the ends won't light so you're going to have to replace it anyway so in essence you've got nothing to lose by replacing it.

Alternatively if it is that the ballast in gone, what alternatives do I have for lighting the tank? Bearing in mind I need to keep it covered as I have childrens and cats :X

buy some Arcadia units to replace them. unless you are up to doing dorscys trick. and even then, I'd go for the Arcadia option. true the ballast's will no longer be in the hood (more wires). but they will last a good time, unlike the juwel items.

buy some Arcadia units to replace them. unless you are up to doing dorscys trick. and even then, I'd go for the Arcadia option. true the ballast's will no longer be in the hood (more wires). but they will last a good time, unlike the juwel items.

Was kind of hoping someone could suggest a cheaper option :lol:

Most reactions

Back