Just got a Veiltail Betta!

Phil Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all!

Let me introduce myself. I am a middle aged semi retired gentleman living on a modest income. My living conditions don't really allow pets of the furry kind so I thought a small fish tank or aquarium would be ideal.

Upon doing some research I settled on a blue colored male Betta Veiltail who's name is Phil Fish. Right now he is in a glass 1 gallon bowl that I got for free. I know, I know it's not ideal but itsi temporary. I added some decorations and river stones and soft plastic plants as to not harm his delicate fins. He's in conditioned tap water and seems to be getting along fine. His water is constantly 80f so no worries thers. He loves hiding in his log and resting on the leaves of the fake plants. For now because I didn't know better I have been feeding him Betta fish flakes and the occasional freeze dried bloodworms. I intend on getting him some better food soon. I try not to overfeed him.

This weekend I am getting him a larger 3.5 or 5 gallon tank a heater and filter so he'll have more room to swim around and better quality of life over all. I do understand I need to cycle the tank once I get it setup and this could take a few weeks. Any help in speeding up the process would be appreciated. While Phil is in his bowl I know I have to do at the very least a weekly water change. Once his new tank is ready I can add him to it and hopefully he'll be a happy little fish!

Sorry for the long post and all help and advice is appreciated! I would like Phil Fish to have a healthy and happy life! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Try to buy the biggest tank you can get for Phil Fish, a 10 gallon is ideal for him. Basically the more water the fish has the better he will do. This includes during the cycling period. The fish will have more water and the ammonia and nitrite levels will remain lower in a larger volume of water.

During the cycling process, you should only feed him 2 times a week and do a 75% water change any day there is ammonia or nitrite in the water. The same thing while he is in the small container, only feed him a couple of times a week and change about 75% of his water each day.

If you get a light for the tank, even a desk lamp will do, you can grow floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and it will help keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down while the tank cycles, and provide the fish with shelter and somewhere to sleep.

When you are at the pet shop look for a gravel cleaner. You use them to clean the gunk out of the substrate and drain out some of the tank water during water changes. A basic model gravel cleaner like the one in the following link is all you need. You leave the fish and plants in the tank when doing water changes and simply drain some water out.
https://www.about-goldfish.com/aquarium-cleaning.html

Thanks for the reply and helpful advice. I have conditioned water ready for his daily water changes. As for tank size my space situation really doesn't allow for anything bigger than a 5 gallon tank at this time. I could probably find away to fit a 10 gallon tank somewhere but I would have to rearrange some things in my apartment. Also I don't really have a stand or table strong enough to handle a 100lb aquarium. I also don't plan on getting any tank mates for Phil since he's quite an agressive little dude with attitude.

Right now he's not happy with his thermometer. He spends most of his time obsessing over it...lol. He'll push his nose right up against it getting poised to attack...haha!! Then after he feels he's intimidated it enough he swims away as if to say..."I showed it who's boss". He will also flare at a pair of shiny scissors if I show them to him. He also enjoys when I put a bright colored object near his bowl and swims over to check it out. He seems to be protective of his little territory. For the most part though it's all about the thermometer. He's a funny little guy!

This seems like a great forum and I am hoping to learn more!

Last edited:
It sounds like he can see his reflection in the thermometer and is telling it to get out of his tank. Same thing with the scissors. You can put a mirror next to his tank for 10-15 minutes a couple of times a week and he will display to that. Make sure you remove the mirror after that so he doesn't remain stressed. Once the mirror is removed he will strut around because he drove the intruder away. :)

If you don't mind only viewing the fish from above, you could get a large plastic storage container and use that for his new home. They are lighter than a glass aquarium and you can sit them on the floor.

Yes I figured he's seeing his reflection on the shiny thermometer. Every once in awhile he'll squeeze himself between two leaves of his fake plant which are flat like Betta hammocks. He has one leaf below him and one above for shade. He'll rest there for a moment or two after arguing with the thermometer. He loves his hollow log too and will hide in it with his nose sticking out one end. Then when he's done all that it's...back to harrasing the thermometer haha! He's certainly not bored.

As for a plastic container I don't really like that since I like to have Phil near me so I can watch him and he likes the interaction. I will check out different tanks this weekend and before doing so I will take measurements to see if I can fit a 10 gallon tank near my desk in my living room. I live in a tiny bachelor apartment but I might make it work!

Here's some pics of Phil in action!

IMG_20181003_183735.jpg

IMG_20181003_183751.jpg

IMG_20181003_183127.jpg

Hmmm...shiny object...
IMG_20181003_183013.jpg

Hiding in his log.
IMG_20181003_183312.jpg

Yay! Swimming!
IMG_20181003_183345.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at the Fluval Spec tanks. They do 3 and 5 gallon versions and either would be a great home for your betta. The 5 gallon is just a more rectangular version of the 3 gallon, they have the same height and width.

Mine is in a 9 gallon nano cube and he now shares it with 4 Otocinclus. The tank measures a little over 12 inches on all sides and sits on the kitchen counter in a shady area. He occasionally flares at them when they go under HIS bridge but they get on quite fine.

Take a look at the Fluval Spec tanks. They do 3 and 5 gallon versions and either would be a great home for your betta. The 5 gallon is just a more rectangular version of the 3 gallon, they have the same height and width.

Mine is in a 9 gallon nano cube and he now shares it with 4 Otocinclus. The tank measures a little over 12 inches on all sides and sits on the kitchen counter in a shady area. He occasionally flares at them when they go under HIS bridge but they get on quite fine.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those Fluval tanks look amazing but they're a little out of my budget range. Now I have been doing some research online and have kind of settled on the TopFin Essentials 5 gallon kit like this one.

https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-essentials-aquarium-starter-kit-5262256.html

I already bought the appropriate type of heater for a 2-10 gallon tank.

Thanks for the suggestions! Those Fluval tanks look amazing but they're a little out of my budget range. Now I have been doing some research online and have kind of settled on the TopFin Essentials 5 gallon kit like this one.

https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-essentials-aquarium-starter-kit-5262256.html

I already bought the appropriate type of heater for a 2-10 gallon tank.
I forget that in the US they have all kind of great deals that we don't get in the UK. Quite often they have the "dollar per gallon" sales that we are envious of.

That 5 gal will be fine. Maybe plonk a real plant in there like a java fern attached to driftwood, they sell it like that now, and youre golden.

I forget that in the US they have all kind of great deals that we don't get in the UK. Quite often they have the "dollar per gallon" sales that we are envious of.

That 5 gal will be fine. Maybe plonk a real plant in there like a java fern attached to driftwood, they sell it like that now, and youre golden.

Actually I live in Canada which is more expensive than the USA. This very same Top Fin kit sells in the USA for about $10 less. I am totally going to add a live plant or two and Phil's log plus a moss ball and Betta hammock. I will probably put a dark colored gravel on the bottom.

Thanks again!

If you get a TopFin filter or any other hang on the back (HOB) filter, you can improve their efficiency by adding some extra sponges. The following link has a YouTube video on modifying the TopFin HOB filter.

Hi

Forget Top fin kits and forget those Fuval tanks way to expensive, You already have a heater filter and light?

Something like this is perfect,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-10-gal/144433503

What sort of light do you have?

That Walmart tank looks like a great deal however they are not sold at Walmarts in Canada. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The only thing Walmarts in Canada sell are Aquarium kits by Tetra or Top Fin and random supplies. Walmarts in Canada are not like in the USA.

As of now I don't have a tank light or filter just a tank heater and thermometer of course.

Something like this would be perfect for a Betta, add a few live plants like Anubias, Crypts, and some water sprite as a floating plant and you are set.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tetra-complete-led-aquarium-kit-10-gallon/6000187104461

Edited
I found a better video

I have seen that Tetra kit at Walmart and yes it's one I may pick up since it's the best deal for a 10 gallon tank. The main reasons I am leaning towards a 5 gallon tank is for space and convenience but having thought about it a 10 gallon one gives more aquaspace options. I certainly would like to have live plants for my Betta's environment.

On another note just to let you all know Phil is doing quite well in his temporary bowl environment. Right now it's past midnight and I have the lights dimmed above his bowl. I am watching him do his sleep routine. After sleeping in his little log he comes up for air and goes back inside. After awhile he will come out again, grab more air and then serenely float over to the corner of the bowl and sleep close to the surface nestled against the side and corner of his drum shaped bowl. Of course this is above his beloved thermometer...lol

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back