Is There A Killifish That Is More Peaceful Than Others?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
I was at my local MA today and whilst chatting to the guys there it was suggested that I could maybe have killifish in my community tank. :unsure:

I currently have Apistos, GBR`s, rummys, neons, harlequins, danios, corys and plecs in the tank (360ltr) and have wondered before whether or not one/couple of killifish would be ok in there :huh:

There seems to be lots of lovely coloured ones but being sensible instead of having something just for the colour, I`d like to ask those who are experienced with killifish which (if any) are placid/peaceful enough to suit a community tank such as mine?

I was at my local MA today and whilst chatting to the guys there it was suggested that I could maybe have killifish in my community tank. :unsure:

I currently have Apistos, GBR`s, rummys, neons, harlequins, danios, corys and plecs in the tank (360ltr) and have wondered before whether or not one/couple of killifish would be ok in there :huh:

There seems to be lots of lovely coloured ones but being sensible instead of having something just for the colour, I`d like to ask those who are experienced with killifish which (if any) are placid/peaceful enough to suit a community tank such as mine?

Can anyone share their experiences of killifish please? :unsure:

Hi Elise,
Try for a species called Epiplaty dageti Monroviae,surface dweller, its pretty common so you should have no trouble in obtaining it, but you will need to be patient and delve around a little. It is a smalish species of around 60mm when adult, as with all killifish males are more colourful than the females. This is not a particularly colourful species but it will grow on you. This is one species that can be kept in a community aquaria quite easily and will fit into your setup, it will accept flake food, although an occasional live food feeding wouldn't go amiss.
I hope that helps
regards
BigC

Hi BigC,

Thanks very much, really appreciate the info and advice B-)

I completely forgot to say that I also have 2 juvi Redhump Eartheaters in my tank as well, would killifish be big enough to be ok with them?

The last thing I want to do is go ahead and get some killifish and end up putting them at risk because of the Redhumps :unsure:

I take it that you are referring to Geophagus steindachneri a cichlid of some size.
I would be unsure about that marriage Elise as I have no knowledge of its disposition. If it were me I would steer clear of the cichlid option if your wanting to keep killifish. Dwarf cichlids fine but ones that can attain 10 inches in the wild then I would not bother with.
Regards
C

Yes, that`s the one, wasn`t sure about compatibility but Thank you. B-)

Better safe than sorry so I`ll give the Killi`s a miss I think :nod:

what about clown kill fish, surface fish that are small and like to be in groups.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back