Is My Tank Cycling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Linway

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm trying to do a fishless cycle on my first tank and I'm at day 7, my readings so far are:

Day 1: added 3ml of ammonia
Ammonia test - 3ppm

Day 4:
Ammonia test - 3ppm
Nitrite test - 0.25ppm

Day 7
Ammonia test - it looks slightly lighter than 3ppm but only very slightly, nowhere near the colour of 2ppm
Nitrite test - 0.5ppm

So I looked at the chart on the cycling guide on this forum and it suggests my ammonia should be lower than what it actually is.

So I guess my question is, are these numbers acceptable for 7 days in or is there something going wrong?

TwoTankAmin said:
It looks normal to me :)
It's just the almost no drop in ammonia that has got me to question it >.<

Almost all water systems have som ebacteria in them. When we first set up the tank and fill it, some small amount bacteria comes in with the water. I wont go into all the details as to how and why this happens even if there is low level chlorine or chlormines in the water, but it is the case.

However, since most of the bacteria started out in the the private plumbing, that is where the p8ublic system ends and the home or apartment's  pipes begins, there is no way to know hoe much comes in. And this accounts for a lot of the difference in how fast any give tank may cycle. Moreover differences in the other water parameters will exert an influence over the speed of the cycle.

What is important is not to achieve some specific time frame or to have specific readings at precise times, rather what you want to see is the process unfolding as it should regardless of the exact timing. Your ammonia may take 5 days to start dropping, mine may start in three and somebody else's will take 10. But what all three have in common is the ammonia starts to drop. And when the ammonia starts to drop, all three examples will see nitrite appear and start to rise as well. the numbers and times may vary but the process itself will not.

Finally, the way the test kits work, 1 ppm of ammonia turns into about 2.5 ppm of nitrite (in terms of test it readings that is). So working backwards, .5 ppm of nitrite was produced from less than .2 ppm of ammonia. Its easy to see you have some nitrite, its not so easy to see a .2 ppm drop from 3 to 2.8 on your ammonia kit. Have a bit more patience and you will see the ammonia dropping and the nitrite rising
smile.png

The upshot of this is, as I stated, you cycle looks like it is going just fine.bear in mind hobby test kits are not exactly the most accurate. There is no way on an API ammonia kit for you to know for certain if you have 3.75, 4 or 4.25 ppm for example. So worry more about the directions in which things are moving and that they follow the normal pattern of cycling.

So its another 9 days later and still no change
wacko.png
my results have been as follows:

15/8 Ammonia added: 3ml
15/8 Ammonia: 3ppm

18/8 Ammonia: 3ppm
18/8 Nitrite: 0.25ppm

21/8 Ammonia: 3ppm
21/8 Nitrite: 0.5ppm

24/8 Ammonia: 3ppm
24/8 Nitrite: 0.5ppm

27/8 Ammonia: 3ppm
27/8 Nitrite: 0.5ppm

30/8 Ammonia: 3ppm
30/8 Nitrite: 0.5ppm
30/8 Nitrate: 0ppm

So yeah I'm getting a little worried now >.<
Should I start again with a different ammonia purchase?
If I am to start again, what do I need to do with regards to cleaning the tank/filter?

Can the cycle be affected by poor surface agitation?

darn this is frustrating >.<

Yes you need aggitation, the bacteria need oxygen. Do you have any idea of your KH? That is where the needed carbon is from. Also I don't see anything re your pH? It looks like its moving in slow motion. Maybe a UK member has some filter media or gravel you could have? I am beginning to think some UK water comes from the tap so chlorinated at the plant there is nothing alive in it.

You are using dechlor, right?

Hey, I've just test again and the results once again haven't changed.

My pH is 7.6 and I'm not sure of my KH, my water company shows this (if this helps):
7lAdqGs.jpg

Yeah I've used dechlor.
I do have surface agitation, just not as much as I could have.

This is becoming quite frustrating now as it's 3 weeks in and I'm still where i started lol.

I can understand your frustration. Things should have moved. Can you provide info on what ammonia you are using and then what test kits as well. What dechlor are you using and how often have you added it and at what dosing? Are you adding anything else to the water?

This sort of thing does happen, but not often. It looks like there may simply be minimal bacteria in your tap to get things stared. I still think your best bet is to borrow some media or gravel from a cycled tank or try to find either Dr. Tim's One and Only or Tetra's Safe Start.

Your water report indicated you should have adequate carbonates.

Assuming your test kits are not out of date and that your are doing it all properly, the fact that you read any nitrites shows something is moving, but at a snail's pace.

Picture of the 3 items mentioned
biggrin.png
... All was bought roughly 1 week before I started cycling.
http://imgur.com/N1fqup8

http://imgur.com/PGLI5tb

Also, you said how often am I putting the tapsafe stuff in the water... I didn't realise I had to do this more than once? (Or when adding new water etc)

As for the borrowing some media, I genuinely don't know a single person who owns fish (other than my grandparents but they live 300 miles away lol).

I really appreciate the help and advice btw :)

I all looks good. You have the Tap Safe that works on both chlorine and chloramine. One needs dose dechlor only once when adding new tap water to a tank.

Since you test the ammonia at 3 ppm after dosing it, I will assume you have the proper levels there.

I can see no reason that your cycle is not moving besides the one I have already suggested- your tap water provided too little bacteria at the start. Which brings me back to the same conclusion- find bacteria to help seed the tank. Media or gravel can be shipped. It has to be kept damp is all. Even a fish or pet store may be willing to help. Also live plants usually have bacteria on them and their roots, so adding these can help as well.

Have you checked the thread for donated media?

I guess I could call the pet store and ask, if they say yes, what exactly do I do with it? >.<

If I can't get mature media, is there anything I can buy to put in the water?

Edit: While browsing the store website that is near me, I found this:
http://fishkeeper.co.uk/site/product/aqua-range-bactuur-gel-filter-bacteria-30ml-
Could this be used? Again sorry if I sound like an idiot, but when it comes to fish keeping I am an idiot lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back