Is it ok to add some snails earlier on during the fishless cycle?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PewPewChris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm starting a fishless cycle tomorrow on a new 40G breeder I'm picking up. Plan to deck it out with all the features, Fluvall 307 w/ UVC filter, nice 300W heater, fluvall plant led light (56W I think)...still trying to figure out substrate and what plants I want out of the gate. This will house community fish like guoramis, tetras, etc. mainly...

Is it ok to add a snail or two early on in the cycle?

Want to get an assassin in there as soon as possible to fend off the pest snails that are sure to come with all the live plants I will start in the tank from day one.

Ammonia is a killer of fish, plants, invertebrates and bacteria (except for the nitrifiers, and this is limited). Why not add some plants, get them growing, and silent cycle?

Ammonia is a killer of fish, plants, invertebrates and bacteria (except for the nitrifiers, and this is limited). Why not add some plants, get them growing, and silent cycle?
That is the plan...just didn't know if snails could be added "sooner" in the cycle, once ammonia is pretty much gone as a first add before it's fully ready for fish. I thought snails might handle differently.

I'll stick to the plant only cycle and feed the little pest snails that pop up to my assassin in my other tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back