Is anyone in the forum a Messi fan?

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Asking this question because I like Lionel Messi, the Argentine player from Rosario, the third largest city in Argentina. Is anyone in the forum a Messi fan because of the recent World Cup win with the Argentina national men's team (La Albiceleste)?

No, Iā€™m not a Messi fan because of the recent World Cup. Iā€™ve been a Messi fan since he first played for Barcelona. :)

Itā€™s just what youā€™re used to isnā€™t it? What youā€™ve been raised on. Iā€™ve never been able to get into any American sportā€¦ or cricket, or rugby.

Itā€™s just what youā€™re used to isnā€™t it? What youā€™ve been raised on. Iā€™ve never been able to get into any American sportā€¦ or cricket, or rugby.
Partly but I can't get into basketball or hockey either which are also very popular in the U.S..

I used to have a set of Lionel trains. They were neat......

About the only futbol I watch is the world cup. When I worked in Saudi Arabia in the late 70s I had to rearrange our work schedule due to the world cup. I have people from at least a dozen countries working on my cite. I was the only American a few Brits a and then an assortment of workers from African and Asia.

I just watched the USA gals v.s. Ned. and then in their loss to Sweden :-( The 1st game started at 3 a.m. and the second at 5 a.m. my time. I do not watch American soccer in general, however. About the only sport I now watch with any regularity any more is baseball.

I think PelƩ is still the goat......

Lucky enough to see him in the flesh at Wembley in the Champions League final versus Manchester Utd about ten (?) years ago. That Barca team were surely the greatest club team in the history of the game. Early 70s Ajax wouldve given them a run for their money if theyā€™d had the same modern fitness knowledge.
On the train from central London to Wembley a lot of Utd fans were overly confident to the point of embarrassment. The two sitting opposite me rolled their eyes to acknowledge the general stupidity of their fellow fans to me. While leaving the train one whispered to me he just hoped Utd werenā€™t shown up too much. I quipped theyā€™d be lucky to score none ala Bill Shankly. He nodded in reply.
Utd scored one but hardly touched the ball afterwards. Their manager Fergie just sat down for the last 20 mins or so in acknowledgement of there being nothing he could do.

Dont get me wrong Barcelona as a club are as despicable an organisation as Utd, Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern etc. All of these so called big clubs are. As shown by recent events.
Itā€™s a shame that the worlds biggest sport attracts so many scummy people into its hierarchies. Maybe if it wasnā€™t the worlds biggest sport theyā€™d be scummy elsewhere. Thankfully my team have been rubbish since WW2 so get overlooked by griftersā€¦ā€¦.mostly.

But Messiā€¦ā€¦.maaaaan weā€™ve been lucky recently to have two of the games handful of true greats playing at the same time with him and the vain Ronaldo. Itā€™d be interesting to have seen Pele and Maradona playing on modern smooth pitches and with the increased protection given by the early 90s rule changes regarding tackling.

In no particular order: Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo Mk1, Ronaldo Mk2.

Next level down: Cruyff, Zidane, Platini, Clown Lurch, Baggio, Van Basten, Ibrahimovic, Di Stefano, Beckenbaur, Haghi, Weir, Eusebio, Best etc.

Anyway itā€™s stopped raining now so Iā€™ll pop out to get the tile grout I shouldā€™ve finished last weekend.

I couldn't name an NBA or NFL player, but most people around the world would struggle to name players from the sports I enjoy. Football (soccer) kind of unites the sports watching world as its biggest sport, but in the US, they play a different, regional game under the name. You can't win.

Messi is pretty incredible, or at least, he was. He should have a fish named after him, or at least a crustacean. I have a hard time with football culture, and I can't manage to have a favourite team. The big teams and big money are pretty ugly as organizations, but the game is great when you can ignore the negatives. I turn on games, watch 5 minutes and pick a team to like.

Messi will go down has one of the true greats. fabulous talent and a joy to watch (unless its your team his destoryingšŸ¤£)

Im a Utd supporter so ive always edged Ronaldo but i appreciate Messi's talent and what hes done for football. Lucky to have them both in the game at the same time.

I used to have a set of Lionel trains. They were neat......

About the only futbol I watch is the world cup. When I worked in Saudi Arabia in the late 70s I had to rearrange our work schedule due to the world cup. I have people from at least a dozen countries working on my cite. I was the only American a few Brits a and then an assortment of workers from African and Asia.

I just watched the USA gals v.s. Ned. and then in their loss to Sweden :-( The 1st game started at 3 a.m. and the second at 5 a.m. my time. I do not watch American soccer in general, however. About the only sport I now watch with any regularity any more is baseball by the what is the most popular sport in Argentina except football.

I think PelƩ is still the goat......
What do you guys think? I know Argentina's only been in TRC for less than two seasons, but rugby's been on the rise there for some time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back