The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
I am planning to buy an aquarium for following fishes:

3 Red tailed black variatus ( 3 inches each)
3 Balloon belly molly (3 inches each)
3 Glofish (2 inches each)

Is 36 inches tank enough (40 gallons enough), considering I have to decorate the tank with plants and other assortments?
The dimensions of a tank is - 36'' L x 18'' W x 16'' H

Also, do you think these fishes get along with each other? 

And, I'm totally new at this, so how do I manage pH levels and whatever?

Help!

3 Red tailed black variatus ( 3 inches each) - Red Tailed Black Shark? If so - NO. They are highly territorial with their own species and I was recommended a 48in tank for one let alone 3
confused.gif

3 Balloon belly molly (3 inches each) - What genders? You need a 3:1(F:M) ratio with all livebearers.
3 Glofish (2 inches each) - You need more than 3 Glofish as they are a shoaling species so you need 6 minimum but in a 36in you could get 8-10 of them
smile.png

There you go
smile.png

Edit: Or are the Red Tailed Black Variatus platies? If so then the same rule applies as the balloon mollies :)

Were you aware Glofish are genetically modified fish? :S

Ninjouzata said:

Thank you!
Paradise3 said:

3 Red tailed black variatus ( 3 inches each) - Red Tailed Black Shark? If so - NO. They are highly territorial with their own species and I was recommended a 48in tank for one let alone 3
confused.gif

3 Balloon belly molly (3 inches each) - What genders? You need a 3:1(F:M) ratio with all livebearers.
3 Glofish (2 inches each) - You need more than 3 Glofish as they are a shoaling species so you need 6 minimum but in a 36in you could get 8-10 of them
smile.png

There you go
smile.png

Edit: Or are the Red Tailed Black Variatus platies? If so then the same rule applies as the balloon mollies
smile.png

So what do you recommend that I get? Keep in mind that I'm new to this fish thing, and whatever fish is easiest to manage and fun to look at will be great (which I thought were the glofishes)  
smile.png

Sophie said:
Were you aware Glofish are genetically modified fish?
wacko.png

So - this is an interesting fact - glofish are a stepping stone on fish that will detect environmental problems and hazards. It's a very neat and potentially hugely beneficial project.

SamB said:

wacko.png

So - this is an interesting fact - glofish are a stepping stone on fish that will detect environmental problems and hazards. It's a very neat and potentially hugely beneficial project.

There the devils project and are evil.    
tongue2.gif

And you need the sharks in a bigger aquarium (thats all) and try to fit in some plecos or otos.    
sorcerer.gif

SamB said:

wacko.png

It's the fact that the dyes that are injected into the fish, hugely impact the immune system and general health of the fish making them sickly and hugely susceptible to a wide range of problems and illnesses.
Not to mention that when buying the Glofish from an LFS, you aren't funding this "hugely beneficial project" - you're benefiting the pocket of the LFS. This is turn will then create the need for more fish to be dye injected just to be sold as "pretty fish". Google Glofish - the first thing you get is "GloFish® fluorescent fish are stunningly beautiful! They are great for any home, office, or classroom and perfect for hobbyists and beginners alike."
Doesn't seem like a science project to me
tongue2.gif

Also the Balloon Mollies suffer from problems like swim bladder as they are bred to be stunted that way. Think of it like a pedigree bulldog, their noses are bred to be flatter and flatter in turn creating drastic breathing problems!

Regardless, it's just my personal opinion.

SO - 180L/40G tank to stock. I'd scrap the Glofish and Balloon Mollies.

The Red Tailed Black Variatus, do you mean -

17400.jpg

If so these would be a fantastic starter. They are commonly known as Platies/Platy and come in a variety of different colours.

Judging by what you suggested, you want something colourful yet stays reasonably small? If so I'd look at something like Guppies -

guppies.jpg

These will happily go with Platies as they are both peaceful community fish
smile.png

If you want more advice, just say and I shall continue
biggrin.png

Well I think Sophie settled everything, with the "Project" and the mistaken Platy....     hooray   
winner.gif

Sophie said:

wacko.png

It's the fact that the dyes that are injected into the fish, hugely impact the immune system and general health of the fish making them sickly and hugely susceptible to a wide range of problems and illnesses.
Not to mention that when buying the Glofish from an LFS, you aren't funding this "hugely beneficial project" - you're benefiting the pocket of the LFS. This is turn will then create the need for more fish to be dye injected just to be sold as "pretty fish". Google Glofish - the first thing you get is "GloFish® fluorescent fish are stunningly beautiful! They are great for any home, office, or classroom and perfect for hobbyists and beginners alike."
tongue2.gif

Also the Balloon Mollies suffer from problems like swim bladder as they are bred to be stunted that way. Think of it like a pedigree bulldog, their noses are bred to be flatter and flatter in turn creating drastic breathing problems!

17400.jpg

If so these would be a fantastic starter. They are commonly known as Platies/Platy and come in a variety of different colours.

Judging by what you suggested, you want something colourful yet stays reasonably small? If so I'd look at something like Guppies -

guppies.jpg

smile.png

biggrin.png

Thank you!!
Also, do you think 40 gal tank will be a little too big for an amateur? Should I get smaller ones?

Nah, 40 G is good. I mean most people start out really small. It might take it a while to mature though.

No, IMO, don't get a smaller tank. 40 Gallons is a decent size to start with.
I'm starting with 24 US gallon tank and reckon its actually a little small but best I could get at the time, will be getting a larger tank in future 
tongue2.gif

The bigger the tank, the more water you have in tank, therefore making it easier to control the parameters of your tank water.

Also a bigger tank means you can stock more fish! 
smile.png
 (But do not overstock please)

By the way please do read the thread by TwoTankAmin about doing fishless cycles (under Cycling a Tank link at top of page) if you have not already done so. I highly recommend you do this.

And do get a Freshwater Master Test Kit, a necessity really, for measuring pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates. That would be a good start.

FYI and IMO. These small starter tanks, anything below 10 Gallons, available in many in LFS are basically doomed from the start for the little kiddies and newbies to start with as with such a small volume of water, will swing wildly in parameters (ammonia/nitrites/nitrates etc)  and so easily overstocked with tiny numbers of fish!! I reckon these tank really should not be labelled starter tanks.
sad.png

So starting with 40 Gallons is a good start 
happy.png
 and good luck 
good.gif

Sophie said:

wacko.png

tongue2.gif

17400.jpg

guppies.jpg

smile.png

biggrin.png

I initially had the same thoughts about the Danios, but then i looked into it. Turns out Glofish aren't actually injected with dye, like Parrots and other fish, they're genetically modified at the DNA level, so no harm is actually caused to the fish. It's really much more down to whether or not you like fluorescent fish or not, then it is an ethical concern.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back