Internal Parasite

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anusingh88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay,

So last night, I ruled out constipation as an issue for my betta, because I saw some white stringy poo hanging behind his fins. Therefore, from the advice given I think he has an internal parasite. What should I give him to treat him? Thanks!

What are his symptoms? Internal parasites do not cause bloating they actually cause the fish to lose weight and become emaciated.

Here are his symptoms...from a previous thread with pictures.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/315724-constipated-betta/

What are his symptoms? Internal parasites do not cause bloating they actually cause the fish to lose weight and become emaciated.

this is not true. there are many varieties of internal parasites. something like worms can cause the belly to bloat up as the population of them increases within the gut. you can have a "skinny" fish that appears to be bloated.

OP-
white, mucousy poo can also be from constipation. id give him a wormer at this point just to be sure tho. treat the entire tank. and keep up with the peas for a while.
cheers

I don't normally help with stuff like this anymore (Diagnosed fish wrong before) but I see everyone is steering you in a aqward direction in what way to go,

Okay since we are still uncertain I will give my view on treatment and what I think now keeping in mind we are going to stay away from any salt baths! No salt in the water because if this is dropsy certainly the end will come real quick! However this does show signs of dropsy, but is not what is on my mind! What is on my mind is the white stool it gave off, this could be a parasite or a worm so we will work on treating both! What I am thinking is Tape worm, is the stool elongated?? If so then I would suspect Tape worm, if the dropping is slimy and white its intestinal flagellates most will probably say a nematode of some sort.

Look for a med like Parasite clear, they are tablets and will kill off both, just look for something that has the name tape worm and flagellates. Continue feeding peas when treating.

What I would do is assume bloat and treat for bloat(Feeding Peas without the shell), not doing the salt bath incase its dropsy, treat with a parasite med for tape worms and flagellates and see how things progress.

hey thanks!

his poop was elongated! like a white worm almost. I'll go get his meds asap. Thanks for that.

hey everybody

so he definitely has dropsy....here are pics i took this morning......HELP! I want to save him!
DSCN1144.jpg

DSCN1143.jpg

Or could he still be just fat?

looks like dropsy to me, and from what i understand there is not much you can do

Unfortunately now that his scales are raising there isn't a lot you can do for him as by this point it will normally have started damaging his internal organs. Some people try epsom salt baths but this only prolongs life, there is no real cure for dropsy. I'm so sorry for you x

Thanks!

Im still hopeful though...continuing his salt baths and meds...I want to give him a chance even if there is no cure.

Thanks!

Im still hopeful though...continuing his salt baths and meds...I want to give him a chance even if there is no cure.

Best option is treat for gram negative and positive if at all positive and at this stage using salt will kill the fish, using salt for trying to heal something causes dropsy quicker than anything else because of the already weaken liver I did post it before somewhere on someones question about dropsy and it can be treated you treat for internal and external parasite so a med, and NO SALT baths if you do this almost gaurentee you will fry the fish

Edit
I also find it interesting the people who complain about bettas not being in 5gal tanks or more and the people who rant about the ones at stores can't help an underline cause like this. More effort should go into something like this than trying to save all the bettas at the lfs and ranting and raving over having them in a 5gal tank or bigger, this is also the earlier signs still for dropsy although some strains kill in 24hours it can still be treated

So now what?

No salt baths. I really appreciate everybody's help, but I'm being steered in different directions not knowing what exactly to do for him. I had reported his swollen belly around dec 20. And I only started treating him yesterday, once the pinecone effect was prominent. Gave a couple salt baths here and there...changed his water more often than usual.And now he's in the worst condition ever. He still swims around and eats. So I really want to help him.

The people at the fish store gave me melafix for bacterial infections.

Could you please tell me exactly WHICH medication I should give him. ie: Brand/common name of the med. Thanks!

So now what?

No salt baths. I really appreciate everybody's help, but I'm being steered in different directions not knowing what exactly to do for him. I had reported his swollen belly around dec 20. And I only started treating him yesterday, once the pinecone effect was prominent. Gave a couple salt baths here and there...changed his water more often than usual.And now he's in the worst condition ever. He still swims around and eats. So I really want to help him.

The people at the fish store gave me melafix for bacterial infections.

Could you please tell me exactly WHICH medication I should give him. ie: Brand/common name of the med. Thanks!

Hmmm I'm sorry but there is not much you can do to save him, I am one of the people who believes once dropsy rears it's ugly head it's the end of the road for the fish :sad: like you I have tried all I can to save fish with dropsy, I have kept many bettas over the years and have had a few pass away to dropsy much to my dismay and determination to get rid of it, I still always treat my bettas if they do get it with various meds, none seem to make a difference or make it go away, it seems I do it for my piece of mind and I guess it just makes us feel better that we tried? this is what I use: Interpet No9 anti internal bacteria, and Esha 2000 both Uk medications if you are in the Uk, and EPSOM salt baths, Epsom salt should not cause any problems as it is used to draw fluid out.

this is not true. there are many varieties of internal parasites. something like worms can cause the belly to bloat up as the population of them increases within the gut. you can have a "skinny" fish that appears to be bloated.

OP-
white, mucousy poo can also be from constipation. id give him a wormer at this point just to be sure tho. treat the entire tank. and keep up with the peas for a while.
cheers
I'm not trying to be snarky with this question but I really need to know why you are recommending peas for a meat eating fish who can't process plant material? Interested in your rationale.

Hi @Piper315 and welcome to the forum :)

You are unlikely to get a response due to this thread being started in 2010 :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back