Inexperience Is An Asset. A Planted Journal.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Does this chick ever shut up?

• OMG, I just clawed my own eyes out.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Don't ever shut up!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Seriously????!!! SHUT UP!!!!!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Updates Please!

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • How can we say this nicely........? :/

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Total looney nut job!!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
The sorority is no more, the only non-crowntail has survived but that's it. Have spent the whole morning scrubbing it out and will start afresh, but not bettas again. Am thinking a pair of kribensis, my little breeding tank.

:crazy: The temperature's in Texas are soaring everyday and it's getting up to 86 degrees in the house, even with the A.C. fullblast. The housing on this Army base are terribly insulated.

The whole point of that story was I went around checking tank temperature's last night and my kitchen tank was 84 degrees :crazy: I floated some ice bottles and took it down to 81 degrees and left it alone overnight. It got down to 77 degrees. I'll have to keep an eye out every afternoon and float a bottle every once in awhile.

The funny thing is that the guppy fry in there are HUGE. Heat speeds up metabolisms lol

What are their genders looking like? It looks like I have 4 males 2 females :( I'll prolly need to get rid of 2 of the males, hopefully I can do pairs!

Oh, I was talking about the new fry, born 2 days before my ram's spawned. The guppies from Bobs are 2 females and 2 males, but I added more females a few weeks ago.

Speaking of the Ram's, The momma has abandoned her children today. The fry are scattered through the tank. I can only confirm that 5 are still alive. I tried to catch them, but the suckers are swimming fast. I think that was a very impressive first spawn actually. I had to copper the tank for Velvet Sunday, so I didn't expect to save any fry anyway, you never know though and they may live.

Spice is chasing Eddie as well. This is the first time the momma has done anything Eddie, since she first chased him off and wouldn't let him near. Too bad he is looking so awful. His color is terrible. I hope everyone in the tank recovers quickly. I have no idea how to know for sure when Velvet is gone. I thought I would treat 10 days and then go from there based on the behavior.

9 days after the fry went free swimming. That's pretty good. If they had laid them in a breeding tank and not this community, things may have gone really well.

This tank is filthy by the way. She bit me anytime I tried to clean the muck behind the wood. I have a hair algae outbreak because I had to put pantyhose on the filter to stop fry being sucked up, it reduced the water flow.

I think I will do a big water change tomorrow, do a really good clean {checking buckets for any fry} I want to always give my filter sponges a swish. There's also still some melt from the new plants. Everything is just ragged and dirty. Getting everything clean again will also help my fishes heal.

Five survivors are great. Really fab for the first try. You are doing really well, also getting the temperature down and everything. Let's hope everything will get much better soon and the velvet is gone.

:-( My fish looked horrible in this tank when I got up today! I knew something was up but couldn't figure it out. It's water change day, so I figured I would just do that and see if it helped. OMG the water was ice cold!!!

Now don't go reporting me, but I have moved the box that blocks the electrical stuff the other day and forgot to put it back, my bratty 1 year old must have reached back there and unplugged the heater!!! :sly: Luckily the filter was running. {and baby didn't get electrocuted}

Temp only got down to 70 degrees. It could have been worse. I got everyone all toasty again and dosed more copper. I am 100% sure there won't be any fry survivors. Once I get rid of the velvet, maybe they will spawn again.

Have you still got fry now though? You never know, they might make it. Ooops on the heater, but thankfully you realised in time.

Oh, probably no fry in there, especially not after the water was so cold. I was wayyyyyy excited that the rams spawned, but I was just happy they got as far as they did. They were looking pretty strong and had grown enough for me to know I was feeding them well. A good learning experience.

I will certainly know the spawning signs next time I hope and I can maybe condition them in breeding tank.

Yes, this spawn has been good practise and you got the very far already. And the parents will get better at it. Hope the next one will be much better.

One of the Rummynoses has gone insanely skinny. I want to separate him and get some parasite food into him for a few days. I can't feed the food to it in the main tank because it is coppered right now and mixing the meds is a big NO-NO.

I am seeing some good results after coppering the tanks. The cories are really active again thought they don't look 100% Velvet is so sneaky, by the time you can visibly see it, it has gotten pretty bad. I will be coppering my QT from now on as Mikaila suggested. I would have avoided this whole thing.

Ok guys, maybe you can help me out. My fish have velvet and I coppered the water a week ago. I just checked and they are all still looking gold dusted. How long should it take for them to start improving?

When I had velvet, maybe 5 months ago? It took about 2 weeks to clear, but I used a med, not copper and lost quite a few fish. The copper is probably more effective.

Well it's been a week today and I am not seeing much improvement at all

Most reactions

Back