Inexperience Is An Asset. A Planted Journal.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Does this chick ever shut up?

• OMG, I just clawed my own eyes out.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Don't ever shut up!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Seriously????!!! SHUT UP!!!!!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Updates Please!

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • How can we say this nicely........? :/

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Total looney nut job!!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

FishFanatic04

I'm in Planted School.
Reaction score
I'll try to be less wordy then normal. I have spent the last 2 months medicating, and water changing, and euthanizing fish. No one could help me diagnose the problem. I spent $250 on various meds. I was depressed, discouraged, and close to giving up. Then I had a small papercut on my hand that wouldn't heal, and a trip to the doctor confirmed. Fish Tuberculosis. / Mycobacterium marinum

That's where we are today. I have just done a full bleach scrub down of my 46g bowfront. I lost half of my plants, but the bright side is that I also lost 100% of the pest snails :lol: I've always been a fighter and never a quitter, so here we are! New hardscape, replanted, and ready for critics!!!

I lost so many stems, so gradually those groupings will be thickened quite a bit. My crypts will probably melt and since they just split into 8 smaller plantlets, they aren't looking too hot. Give it time. My one moment to whine: My favorite anubis from my wood had to be stripped of it's leaves. I hope it produces new ones in a timely manner.

What do you think? I am not asking for opinions, I am demanding some!!! :grr:

46g Bowfront

Filter: Rena Filstar Xp2
Lighting: One T-8 30watt
Co2: None
Substrate: Caribsea Tahitian Moon Black Sand
Fertilization: Root tabs, Dry Ferts {tossed in every few days}
Water chemistry: Ph- 7.8 GH & KH- I'll add later. I forget.
Water Change Schedule: 50% a week. Just cause.
Fish: None. I have to fishless cycle all over again. {I do not believe I had enough plants remaining for a silent cycle, or if they are healthy enough yet.}

Plant species
:
Nymphaea lotus 'Zenkeri' "Tiger Lotus"
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar'
Amazon Swordsss
Ludwiga Repens
Bacopa Caroliniana
Cabomba
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis "micro sword"
Egeria densa "Elodea, Anacharis"
Anubis.

And pictures of course: I am starting to play around with my camera. These shots are not very good, but my water is sooooo cloudy. I'll try tomorrow night for better.

Final rinse, Just to be sure the bleach was gone.
007iiw.jpg

Salvaged Plants
009ose.jpg

New Hardscape
013umx.jpg

Just to tease you: :grr: :grr:
019dr.jpg

026vu.jpg

022bue.jpg

Hope the water clears fast. I am still bummed that the crypts split...they were lovely before. Now they are everywhereeeee. Hope they grow out fast.

Thanks for looking. Opinions? Advice? Be critical. I can hack it.

It's incredible already!!! Your work always gets me ;) I'll be glued to this thread and can't wait to see the progress.

I like this, very healthy looking with a good sense of depth, very nice. :good:

:D Thanks Everyone!!! So far, no plants melted overnight. I was so worried after the bleach dip! Once the tiger lotus throws some leaves, and I fill in the stem groupings, I might be really proud of this.

Cloudyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy water this morning :angry:

:D Thanks Everyone!!! So far, no plants melted overnight. I was so worried after the bleach dip! Once the tiger lotus throws some leaves, and I fill in the stem groupings, I might be really proud of this.

You should be very proud already mate after what you've gone through!

Cloudyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy water this morning :angry:

Purigen :)

Can't get purigen yet. :( Spent all my fishy budget. Another reason for trying to salvage all my plants. Can't keep forcing my kids to live on bread and water :lol: I am currently running Bio-Chem Zorb in the filter {it's what I had, ok!} I wayyyy overdosed on Prime as well. I need to make sure that there isn't any trace of bleach left.

I am also dreading any possible diatoms. I am reading a lot of controversy over the cause of diatoms. Silica, Nitrites... I have to cycle the filter all over again, so wonder if that will cause diatoms. {no mature media from the LFS who gives out Fish TB for Easter} Thanks anyway.

This tank was originally for gouramis and platies. If I could get some quality Apistos {guaranteed TB free} I would love to try them again.

Here I go talking to dang much again! :nerd:

*I* don't think you talk to much but maybe I'm not the best person to say... :p

it' looks good, however, if you're wanting a little critique, then imo, it's a little to symmetrical. My eyes are drawn to either side, rather than just one main focal point. Some people don't mind symmetry in a scape, so this is only my POV.

well done though, it's good that you're thinking about the layout.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back