Indonesian Tiger Fish

adamgreen240

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Can't seem to find any info with regard to the price of these fish in the UK. Could anyone give me a rough idea for the price and size of them?? Thanks, Oh, and is there any shops online that sell them? As my Lfs can't get them in. Thanks Adam

Try tropicalfishfinder (on google) and check them out on there. Wildwoods is a good place to go and they do delivery. Price depends on species and size, but they start at about £30, but like I say, depending on the species.

Mike

I would like to say that the bigger the fish, the higher the prices... much higher! Since dats grow so slow, they command ridiculous prices when they are larger. For the regular "3 bar" ID, 18" is the max size, but it takes years to even get to that size. I've had mine for over a year now and he's gone from 2" to 6" and has slowed down considerably once hitting 6".

Which specific species are you looking for? There are 4 in the aquarium trade - Datnioides (or Cious. I'm not sure of the actual genus name right now) microlepis (indonesian datniod), D. pulcher (Siamese Tiger datniod), D. quadrifasciatus (Silver datnoid), and D. campelli (New Guinea datnoid).

All can be distinguished fairly easily, except for some exceptions with the pulcher and microlepis (and even then, the price is an easy way to tell the difference... pulchers are $300+). One this is for certain, though: you won't ever find a pulcher in an LFS. They are mostly owned by private sellers or hobbiests.

Good luck with these fish! They are definitely one of my favorite fish. They are full of so much character and intelligence. :D

As already said, Wildwoods are properly one of the best places to look. They do alot of rare fish and delivery next day to your door before 12:30. Fish is guarenteed to arrive alive and packaging is excellent!Highly recommend them.

I would like to say that the bigger the fish, the higher the prices... much higher! Since dats grow so slow, they command ridiculous prices when they are larger. For the regular "3 bar" ID, 18" is the max size, but it takes years to even get to that size. I've had mine for over a year now and he's gone from 2" to 6" and has slowed down considerably once hitting 6".

Which specific species are you looking for? There are 4 in the aquarium trade - Datnioides (or Cious. I'm not sure of the actual genus name right now) microlepis (indonesian datniod), D. pulcher (Siamese Tiger datniod), D. quadrifasciatus (Silver datnoid), and D. campelli (New Guinea datnoid).

All can be distinguished fairly easily, except for some exceptions with the pulcher and microlepis (and even then, the price is an easy way to tell the difference... pulchers are $300+). One this is for certain, though: you won't ever find a pulcher in an LFS. They are mostly owned by private sellers or hobbiests.

Good luck with these fish! They are definitely one of my favorite fish. They are full of so much character and intelligence. :D

THere are 5 dats in the species.... Undecrimatus - Thin bar Tiger

THere are 5 dats in the species.... Undecrimatus - Thin bar Tiger
Whoops, my mistake. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back