Echinodorus bleheri bulb

Thanks for checking it out! There are some pics of the leaf in an earlier pix (the one with the frogs). I looked up the ones you listed but don't think they match, the leaves don't have the crinkly edges they are quite straight-edged. The plant to the right with the more crinkly leaves is separate, sorry I should've made that clearer when I uploaded the picture. Whatever it is my frogs love it, just hope it stays healthy!
Yea missed the earlier picture check distachyos

When I Google I think it looks most similar to Aponogeton henkelianus, but leaves are slightly different. I think you're right in that it seems to be some kind of aponogeton.

Decided to get something different today and ordered a nymphaea rubra (red tiger lotus) bulb.

When I Google I think it looks most similar to Aponogeton henkelianus, but leaves are slightly different. I think you're right in that it seems to be some kind of aponogeton.

Decided to get something different today and ordered a nymphaea rubra (red tiger lotus) bulb.
I'm not a fan of lotus in general; they look really pretty and if you spend a lot of time managing them they are great but they have a tendency of growing out of control and spreading worse than the worse weed over long period of time. So you have to consider the long term impact and if you are willing to put the effort to managing them - they spread by having plantets breaking off from teh main bulb and spread they will. Also they want to shoot leaves up to the surface so you have to constantly trim them if you want to the leaves to stay low and finally they can get huge.

I'm not a fan of lotus in general; they look really pretty and if you spend a lot of time managing them they are great but they have a tendency of growing out of control and spreading worse than the worse weed over long period of time. So you have to consider the long term impact and if you are willing to put the effort to managing them - they spread by having plantets breaking off from teh main bulb and spread they will. Also they want to shoot leaves up to the surface so you have to constantly trim them if you want to the leaves to stay low and finally they can get huge.
Thanks for the heads up, I am still newish to planted aquariums (hence not knowing which plant I had at the start of this post!). I don't mind some plant maintenance but equally like plants which do get to the surface as my frogs like to hang out under the leaves. Will have to see if I can get the right balance with this one.

Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea lotus) is indeed a beauty. Its growth habits vary depending upon light intensity and nutrients. Red leaf plants appear red because they reflect red wavelength light. Red and blue light is essential for photosynthesis, and green added does improve plant growth. But the fact that this plant must reflect much of the red light means it needs even more. This is where it often fails. I kept it alive for several years even with my moderate light because I encouraged the floating leaves, and being at the surface under the light, plus having the aerial advantage (CO2 from the air not water) it did remarkably well. And a tank with the surface mainly covered with large burgundy leaves was indeed beautiful. For nutrition, best is substrate tabs like Flourish Tabs, one every 3-4 months. A liquid comprehensive helps too. But never iron alone, this can kill the leaves (I was led into this mistake).

Edit. Almost forgot...the aponogeton will also greatly benefit from a Flourish Tab.

Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea lotus) is indeed a beauty. Its growth habits vary depending upon light intensity and nutrients. Red leaf plants appear red because they reflect red wavelength light. Red and blue light is essential for photosynthesis, and green added does improve plant growth. But the fact that this plant must reflect much of the red light means it needs even more. This is where it often fails. I kept it alive for several years even with my moderate light because I encouraged the floating leaves, and being at the surface under the light, plus having the aerial advantage (CO2 from the air not water) it did remarkably well. And a tank with the surface mainly covered with large burgundy leaves was indeed beautiful. For nutrition, best is substrate tabs like Flourish Tabs, one every 3-4 months. A liquid comprehensive helps too. But never iron alone, this can kill the leaves (I was led into this mistake).

Edit. Almost forgot...the aponogeton will also greatly benefit from a Flourish Tab.
Sorry Lcc86, but @Byron ,this aponogeton, would it be worth getting for ancistrus or not especially?

Sorry Lcc86, but @Byron ,this aponogeton, would it be worth getting for ancistrus or not especially?

Aponogeton plants are not what I would call sturdy, perhaps Lcc86 could enlighten us on this plant. I would say Echinodorus swords are ideal because any of the smaller plecos that graze leaves would have no problem.

Thanks, I've been using flourish tabs whenever I plant something new, so will do so when this bulb comes. I'll see how it goes as not sure the exact spec of my lighting (came with the tank). I'm hoping it will do as well as some of my other plants, but if it doesn't thrive c'est la vie, I'm still learning all of this plant stuff!

Aponogeton plants are not what I would call sturdy, perhaps Lcc86 could enlighten us on this plant. I would say Echinodorus swords are ideal because any of the smaller plecos that graze leaves would have no problem.
I don't have any real plant eaters in my tank really, so the worst it has to cope with is pygmy cories and mystery snails grazing along it. Neither do damage to my plants atm. It's fast growing and provides good surface cover. Obviously not had it long but it seems to be doing well, not sure how it would do with a pleco.

I don't have any real plant eaters in my tank really, so the worst it has to cope with is pygmy cories and mystery snails grazing along it. Neither do damage to my plants atm. It's fast growing and provides good surface cover. Obviously not had it long but it seems to be doing well, not sure how it would do with a pleco.

My post was in response to Alex's question about the plant in his tank. Sorry we got this confused. Cories won't do any harm to aponogeton. Mystery snails I know nothing of.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back