Echinodorus bleheri bulb

Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought an echinodorus bleheri bulb just over a month ago online and it's absolutely shot up and is giving some good coverage at the top of the tank. I want to buy one or two more but I'm looking everywhere and can't find any, I can't remember where I got this bulb from either. I'm UK based and all the usual places only seem to have the plants not bulbs (I'm looking to avoid any pest snails). Does anyone know of anywhere online selling bulbs or with a good rep for no hitchhikers on their plants!

As far as I'm aware, this plant does not grow from a bulb. Plant growers class it as a rosulate plant. This image is from Tropica

1693558564972.png

Hmmm it must be a different one I got, which would explain why I can't find it now! It definitely doesn't look like the one in your picture so I must've misidentified it. Will try and get a picture later but it has long thin stems that reach the surface and then the leaf rests on the surface.

That sounds more like a Nymphaea lotus.

Hmmmm no it's not that one, it's very green, no red at all.

Found a picture of the leaves at the surface if that helps! Sorry am terrible with plant ID!

Attachments

• IMG-20230830-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230830-WA0000.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 16
I agree, it's definitely not a lotus :)

This is one shop's selection of aquarium bulbs, see if yours looks like any of these.

I agree, it's definitely not a lotus :)

This is one shop's selection of aquarium bulbs, see if yours looks like any of these.
They look similar but not quite the same, I guess it's time to order a mystery bulb!

Hmmm it must be a different one I got, which would explain why I can't find it now! It definitely doesn't look like the one in your picture so I must've misidentified it. Will try and get a picture later but it has long thin stems that reach the surface and then the leaf rests on the surface.
How about a picture of the plant so it can be identified ? There are several aponogeton plants that look marginally similar to echinodorus; so that would be my guess. Several can get quite gigantic.

Yes, a picture taken through the side of the tank rather than from above the tank should help.

Order from somewhere that knows what they are selling :D

I'll get one ASAP, stuck at work at the moment so likely to have to be tomorrow!

Finally got a picture, it's the one with the snail on the stalk if anyone can identify! Also in the second pic, is that plant in the background putting out roots for a new plant? If so what's the best way to take the new plant off without damaging it?

Attachments

• 20230903_125149.jpg
    20230903_125149.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230903_125203.jpg
    20230903_125203.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 12
It is almost certainly an apogeonton but the picture doesn't give me a clear view of the leaf structure. A few you can check on line to see if they match your leaf structure include crispus, longiplumulosu (not likely), undulatus (not likely), ulvaceus (these are very fast growing but hibernate frequently - just leave them alone and they will respawn in 6 to 12 months) - i think those are the most likely bet. If it did not have a bulb there are a few crypts - the problem is the picture doens't really show the details of the leaves making it difficult to pick out the species.

It is almost certainly an apogeonton but the picture doesn't give me a clear view of the leaf structure. A few you can check on line to see if they match your leaf structure include crispus, longiplumulosu (not likely), undulatus (not likely), ulvaceus (these are very fast growing but hibernate frequently - just leave them alone and they will respawn in 6 to 12 months) - i think those are the most likely bet. If it did not have a bulb there are a few crypts - the problem is the picture doens't really show the details of the leaves making it difficult to pick out the species.
Thanks for checking it out! There are some pics of the leaf in an earlier pix (the one with the frogs). I looked up the ones you listed but don't think they match, the leaves don't have the crinkly edges they are quite straight-edged. The plant to the right with the more crinkly leaves is separate, sorry I should've made that clearer when I uploaded the picture. Whatever it is my frogs love it, just hope it stays healthy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back