I'm Seriously Worried About My Black Moor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlackyMoory

Reaction score
Okay so I only noticed to day that my black moor has been swimming on it's side and has a huge red patches on it's side.

He was in a tank with 4 goldfish and has been living there for the past 3 years,

The tank has two filters and a heater set on 22/24 I think

Do you have any more questions please help :)

Thanks

2012-12-20203301_zps0b21c71b.jpg

Poor little guy! Not sure what it is, but it almost looks like he's bleeding under his scales? Could you tell us a bit more about the tank please? How big is it, how long has it been running, the water perimeters, is he trying to swim at all? etc. It's a little hard to tell, but is he bloated? Anything he could have injured himself on? What do you feed them? Sorry for all the questions, but the more information the better :)

bleeding under his scales? Yes I'm almost 100% certain.

Could you tell us a bit more about the tank please? Okay I will get you exact measurements tomorrow It's just I have to sleep now, But it's three landscape A4 pages across and about 1 [sup]1/2[/sup] A4 pages width

How big is it? 10 Gallons I think

How long has it been running? Regular water changes for awhile but has gotten dirty recently like green water and I don't know why.

The water perimeters I don't own a kit.

Is he trying to swim at all? No not really but he can (kinda) , He mostly just lays there with his mouth opening and closing.

It's a little hard to tell, but is he bloated? He is.

Anything he could have injured himself on? Well I have no stones in the tank just the filters and heater.

What do you feed them? Normal Fish Flakes This brand:
tetra_goldfish_100g.jpg

Looks like bacterial infection to me. Four fish of this type in a ten gallon with poor water quality will cause bacterial infection.

definitley bleeding, and i think i know why too, just i need a more clear photo to be sure.

well is there any white spots on the side that is bleeding? if so it's probably an ichy, parasite, infection of some sort (not very good in naming diseases) he was trying to itch it off on the gravel so he made it swell and bleed... well that's all i can tell for now. so what substrate do you have at the bottom of the aquarium?

sorry nope guys is there anything you can recommend I have in an isolation container I don't want him in pain!

seperate him from the tank and put him in another one, (which im sure you have done), so it doent spread, then go to a pet store with a description of the fish and ask them for a medication.

Unfortunately you need a much bigger tank than 10 gal to house these kind of fish- they get big and are horrendously dirty fish. I'm also leaning towards some kind of bacterial infection of some sort. Is there any blood in his fins at all? Thinking about it looks like septicaemia may have set in for him, in which case it is probably too late for him I'm afraid. Start by doing big daily water changes, and try and get yourself a test kit ASAP- they are invaluable. The best ones are liquid kits, like the API test kit- about £20 online.
Are any of the other fish showing any symptoms of being unhappy, or is it just this fella who is struggling?

Unfortunately you need a much bigger tank than 10 gal to house these kind of fish- they get big and are horrendously dirty fish. I'm also leaning towards some kind of bacterial infection of some sort. Is there any blood in his fins at all? Thinking about it looks like septicaemia may have set in for him, in which case it is probably too late for him I'm afraid. Start by doing big daily water changes, and try and get yourself a test kit ASAP- they are invaluable. The best ones are liquid kits, like the API test kit- about £20 online.
Are any of the other fish showing any symptoms of being unhappy, or is it just this fella who is struggling?

i completely agree with that.

<p>
@Flute He is the only one, You see my other 4 goldfish have had lets call it an eventful life, in 2008 they were bought as class pets and live in a bowl for one year, After one year he moved home with me and they lived in a tank where they shared a home with some tropical fish they lived together along with my black moor for 2 years but then a power outrage struck and the water went freezing (I mean freezing cold) and they died. So now my little guy now has had a huge improvement look at this photo:

2012-12-21111408_zpscdd746f2.jpg

The swelling has reduced, the redness has gone down and he is beginning to swim a little more :D and sorry @Flute I'm not ready to give up on him!
thumbs-up.gif

So obviously it's clear that I've made some mistakes in my past with fish keeping but that is because I wasn't properly educated
confused.gif
So if this forum wouldn't could you help me and my fish and please don't yell at me
thanks.gif

Okay so What would you recommend for a tank size with four 5 inch goldfish (Not including my black moor)

Should I be doing 30% water changes everyday and clean the filter every week?

Buy kit will get that :p

And anything else?

Thank You!!!!

You need a minimum of a 60 gallon tank, 75 gallons would be better.

Heater is not needed.

Also start mixing veggies into their diet - - shelled peas, broccoli, cucumber etc.

What kind of goldies do you have? Some need larger systems than others. For instance, if you have any commons/comets (single tailed goldfish varieties) you will need an even larger tank, 100+ gallons.

Good on you for giving him a much better home than the bowl :good:! And it's great that you're not willing to give up on him yet- I didn't mean for it to sound as though you should in anyway, just wanted to let you know he might not make it. So pleased that he seems to be picking up though!

And don't worry about past mistakes- we have all made them at some point or another! I certainly have! We're always more than happy to help you out with anything you're unsure of, never hesitate to ask :D

I would do 50% daily until you get yourself a kit- once you have one of those it'll be so much easier for you to keep an eye on things :)

I would at the very smallest keep goldies in a 40 gal, with an extra 10 gal for each additional goldfish. But as Jenste says the bigger the better. They are a member of the carp species and do get very big, which is why most people keep them in ponds rather than tanks.

You need a minimum of a 60 gallon tank, 75 gallons would be better.

Heater is not needed.

Also start mixing veggies into their diet - - shelled peas, broccoli, cucumber etc.

What kind of goldies do you have? Some need larger systems than others. For instance, if you have any commons/comets (single tailed goldfish varieties) you will need an even larger tank, 100+ gallons.

hear that (well read it) if i were you i'd do exactly that blacky.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back