Im New, But I Have Had Experiance

no you are not mistaking gallons for litres. all i can suggest is that you go to your lfs tell them what size tank you want and see what they got, don't let them tell you you can keep them in smaller as all you will have is problems. the tank needs to be big so the fish have there own terratry, also you will need a very good filter. before you buy a tank and stick the fish in, read the pinned topics on fishless cycling first, very informative.

For 2 id say prob 100 gal, for one 75 gal

ahh ok ill go tomoroow and ill come back here and tell you if they have a 100 gallon tank

Thanks guys

just for reference thats 4 ft long by 2 ft wide by 2 ft tall, that equals 100 gal.

no, that tank is far to small, it is only 120 ltr, the size you want (100 gal) is equal to aprox 450 ltr.

serious ! wow !

What if i got that tank and put 2 pirnanha ion there ? would they die ?

serious ! wow !

What if i got that tank and put 2 pirnanha ion there ? would they die ?

Firstly Piranhas don't like each other, they simply tolerate each others company to defer larger predators
If you add 2 Piranhas to a tank, the dominant one will soon realise there are no predators and simply kill the other.

You are looking at a bare minimum tank size of 300Litres (ideally more) and a bare minimum of 4 piranhas again ideally more,
In most cases if you buy 10 RBP at 1-2inches in size, by the time they reach their adult size, (which could easily be 10-12inches) many will have been killed.

Agree with the post earlier that for the most part Piranhas are relatively uninteresting, and that if you can't afford a 300litre tank plus a large external filter that is capable of filtering around 2000litres per hour then it would be best to look at an alternative.

2 piranhas is a bad idea, they will kill each other.
If you must, get 1 and keep it by itself, it probably would be ok in a 120 litre for about 6-8 months ideally with an EXTERNAL FILTER . As long as its a juvenile one (1 inch)
By then you will get bored with it because its not the vicious wild man eater you were hoping for. It will probably just hid in the corner shi..ing itself.

I dont think you are ready for piranha just yet, find something else.

I think the best advice I can give you is to go and buy the biggest tank and filter you can comfortably afford, then we can suggest some tankmates that may be of some interest.

a few species that should wet your appetite are the Rainbow Wolffish (Ery Ery) or one of the many Dwarf Snakeheads (Channa sp.)

Piranhas are great fish to own, its all down to personal preference, I personally would never get rid of mine now.

You cant really distinguish male and female red bellies without cutting them up and they will only "take chunks out of each other" if they are not fed enough or do not have enough space.

4 reds is a good number but I would get a couple more than you actually want if your getting juveniles as weak ones will be killed.

for 4 reds anything bigger than 75 US gallons is fine, so 100 uk gallon would be great! Red bellies can easily grow to 12", in my opinion you could keep 6 fully grown adults happily in that tank.

You will need big external filters and look to have a turnover of at least 7-8x, so the whole tank volume gets filtered 7-8x an hour. Keep lighting low for them and they will be more active. Feed them a basic diet of white fleshed seafood such as cod fillets,mussels,prawns etc and treats of chicken or beefheart once or twice a month MAX. Do not feed live as its likely to introduce disease to your piranhas.

They are great fish once settled and good fun to own, any questions dont hesitate to pm me and Ill give you any help you need, good luck :good:

Most reactions

Back