🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Well the main reason I ask for suggestions is because I am not familiar with all types of fish, or their temperaments, needs, etc. I haven't been keeping fish that long so I am only fairly familiar with the small amount I've kept & I like to learn about others and experiences with them.. I'm not terribly picky lol. Just very open and curious.

The problem with getting the male to female ratio right is that I'm pretty sure I'd have to order online, as the only LFS in my area doesn't offer them.. Doesn't offer many fish, to be honest. Much less healthy fish lol. So I stray away from them as much as possible. And I don't know if ordering online allows for sex preferences. Would I just have to hope for the best? I think I'd definitely go with the gouramis over the Congo. Though I like them, I would rather have something a little larger that offers a little difference in visual looks than the congos.

I've never ordered fish online, so can't offer much advice on what a supplier may or may not do for you. If you have a good and reliable fish store relatively near to you, even if say an hour or two drive away, it may be worth getting to know them. Some stores will order in fish. I won't even walk through the doors of chain stores when it comes to fish, I have had no end of disease problems. I've never had this with the reliable stores.

How do you rule out the reliable ones? Ike, locally/family owned, maybe? & I'm assuming you mean stores like petsmart? Of course that'd be the next closest thing to me, I believe dang it. Maybe I should make a post and see if anyone knows of a reliable and reputable store within an hour or so of me other than petsmart.

How do you rule out the reliable ones? Ike, locally/family owned, maybe? & I'm assuming you mean stores like petsmart? Of course that'd be the next closest thing to me, I believe dang it. Maybe I should make a post and see if anyone knows of a reliable and reputable store within an hour or so of me other than petsmart.

Yes, look for locally-owned independent stores. If there are aquarists in your neck of the woods, they may have suggestions (look for a local aquarium club?). And yes, by chain stores I mean Petsmart, Petland, etc.

Okay so.. This is crazy but.. I got tank mates in the 90. Community style- and everything looks great. However, after conversation with my girlfriend, she has decided that she'd rather use the 29g as the community tank and have this one as the cichlid/clown tank. (happy wife, happy life right? Lol) so now... I'm wondering what the possibilities would be for the blood parrot and clown loach combo. I'm assuming only SA/new world cichlids considering that's what the BP is. Any ideas?..

Okay so.. This is crazy but.. I got tank mates in the 90. Community style- and everything looks great. However, after conversation with my girlfriend, she has decided that she'd rather use the 29g as the community tank and have this one as the cichlid/clown tank. (happy wife, happy life right? Lol) so now... I'm wondering what the possibilities would be for the blood parrot and clown loach combo. I'm assuming only SA/new world cichlids considering that's what the BP is. Any ideas?..

I just re-read this thread, but am still confused by this latest post. The clown loaches must remain in the 90g, it is certainly better than the 29g even if still small in time. The blood parrot will not do in a 29g so it needs the 90g--but I thought you were going to re-home this fish?

Fish requirements must come before the preferences of any of us. The fish willnot be "happy" or in good health (the same thing really) if their needs are not provided for.

No, no. The blood parrot and clowns would most definitely stay in the 90. I was talking about moving the tetras, gouramis and gbr (the tank mates i mentioned thag I got for the 90) to the smaller tank. But after some thought, that won't work because I think it'd be crowded with what it already has, especially the gourami bc they get up to 6".

So I was wondering what bigger cichlids I could home with the BP and CLs in the 90g ☺ . But again, don't think it'd work bc I don't want to have to lose the gouramis and gbr. Trust me.. I tried to talk her into rehoming the BP but she wouldn't budge. She swears she loves that fish lol. So I gave up.

No, no. The blood parrot and clowns would most definitely stay in the 90. I was talking about moving the tetras, gouramis and gbr (the tank mates i mentioned thag I got for the 90) to the smaller tank. But after some thought, that won't work because I think it'd be crowded with what it already has, especially the gourami bc they get up to 6".

So I was wondering what bigger cichlids I could home with the BP and CLs in the 90g ☺ . But again, don't think it'd work bc I don't want to have to lose the gouramis and gbr. Trust me.. I tried to talk her into rehoming the BP but she wouldn't budge. She swears she loves that fish lol. So I gave up.

I didn't see anything about the other tetras and rams and gourami...where is that?

To the other cichlids, absolutely not with the Blood Parrot. No other cichlids, this will not work. I went in to this previously.

I don't know what gourami it is, but if it gets to 6 inches this is likely one of the more aggressive species, so that may be another issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back