ID algae and removal tips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppy lover

Reaction score
Hi I've been trying to make a planted aquarium for some while however I have keep on being plagued by algae! First I had brownish green algae everywhere however it was easy to remove but now I have another type that is quite impossible to remove. It is growing on my glass and plants. Please help identifying it and tips for removal and keeping it away.
4yNiy95oABgstHk1A
One picture shows my moss ball, I am unsure if it is the source or not as they both have similar looks and texture.

Last edited:
The brown algae was diatoms. It is common in new tanks, but should not return. The so-called algae-eating fish like the oto in the photos will eat this, readily.

Other species of algae can become problematic due to the imbalance of light and nutrients. This takes some explaining. And some will be eaten by fish but many will not.

Algae is a lower plant, and like all plants requires light and nutrients. In a planted tank the aim is to balance the light and nutrients to suit the plants, and algae is then disadvantaged. In new tanks the biological system needs time to develop and become stable, and during this period algae can take advantage of varying light/nutrients because it is not as fussy as higher plants.

Nutrients come from fish food/fish waste decomposing, water changes, and adding plant fertilizers. If these together are either too many or too few to balance with the light intensity and duration, algae again has an advantage.

The first thing we need to sort out is your lighting; please give any data you can. Type, watts, spectrum...all you can. And how long each day, and if this is on a timer so it is consistent.

Are you adding any plant fertilizers or additives? What is the substrate?

Thanks for the reply, I use no ferts, the substrate is fluval stratum and I think the light is sunsun ADP 400c 13watts, I have the light on for 6-7 hours as it cannget hot so don't have it on when I am not in the house.

Light. I assume this is LED, here's a link I found if this is the one you have:
https://finsnflora.com/aquarium-led-lighting/459-sunsun-adp-400c.html

My experience with LED is next to zero so I would not want to comment on the intensity being OK or not. The spectrum is given as 7500K which is higher in the blue and lower in the red, so this might be part of the issue. Aquatic plants need red and blue light to drive photosynthesis, and that light has to be of an intensity for the species. Perhaps other members have experience with this light and could offer advice. A Kelvin in the 5000K to 7000K range is ideal.

If, and I say if, the light is an issue due to intensity or spectrum, plants will have more effort managing than algae, and this is why algae tends to become a nuisance. Algae has no demand for "ideal" light, it can use almost any.

The light duration is OK at 6-7 hours. It would help to get a small timer like those sold for lamps, to have the light come on and go off at the same time each day. This not only benefits plants, it is very important for fish that have a significant relationship to light. You can have the "on" time set to the time of day/evening when you are generally home to view the aquarium. Provided this is consistent, and provided there are several hours of absolute darkness (no ambient daylight or room light, such as midnight to the early morning), this will work well.

Depending upon the number of plants and the species, and the fish load, some form of fertilizer might help. A comprehensive or complete liquid is best, something like Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. Seachem make several products under the Flourish name so make sure it is this comprehensive supplement. It takes very little.

Floating plants are also advisable; these can shade the light, thus helping to prevent algae issues, and floating plants being fast growing will utilize nutrients more rapidly, which also combats algae.

Snails like any of the small ones (bladder, pond, Malaysian Livebearing) will eat algae, but not to the degree of resolving problem algae. But it is one more positive factor. Never acquire fish intended to eat algae; for one thing. all of the true algae-eating fish have very specific preferences as to which species of algae they will (or might) eat, and not surprising most of them will not touch problem algae species. They also can have very specific requirements as fish, making them problems in themselves due to numbers or size and behaviours. Similarly, never use algicides or any chemical treatments as they will usually harm plants and fish. Resolving algae issues by dealing with the cause is the only safe and effective method.

Looks fine. You just need more plants and put in some grazers like Nerite snails or Otocinclus cats,Ancistrus ( bristlenose) catfish. That's it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back