I succumbed

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They where big and strong.

Even knowing what was going to happen I barely was able to move before getting sprayed.

They where so fast, that I got my hand cut by their fins couples of times while they so violently turned around.

My sister in law loved theses fishes and took great care of them for more than 10 years after I moved.

All meters still at 0 today.

Big, runs his little schedule. Wakes up, stretch his fins, do a bit of exercise. Then have a good meal. He understands really fast... Now he already discovered, if he place himself right in front of the dropper, He can suck in the whole content in one shot... Then swim around with bloodworms sticking out his gills while munching like it was his last meal... I discretely dropped a green pea in the bottom during this time.

After his copious breakfast... Did a quick spot check, if everything was all under control in his territory, Then when to park in the filter input head down... Like a dead fish... I think it's why I never find poop anywhere.

An hour later, He begins his shift... Starts prowling all around the tank and violently attacks everything that moves suspiciously.

He nearly destroyed a part of the java fern to get to a snail, then cornered it and sucked it out of his shell. I was like... Stop killing all the janitors... Darn... Then found the pea and ate it completely.

He also jumped out the water attacking who knows what at the surface and hit the light or the hood and fell back in... That made me a little nervous, he could have felled on top of the lid and dry there.

I have to check that out.

Crazy :fish:

In my new tank, I have a bunch of wood and had a LOT of tannins, but amazingly after a couple of water changes it is all just about gone. Honestly, I like it better without. I liked it for awhile, but it wore on me after awhile. It is the correct look for the tank, though- so good on you for it.
I forgot to say. The initial coloration will disappear pretty quickly. But the soil effects your piece of wood gives to the water will last as long as it exist.

I started a small 5 gallons a couple of months ago.

https://www.fishforums.net/threads/small-planted-setup.490885/

And took a Piece of Mopany Wood that I used 11 years in an aquarium previously and let dry for 15 years in storage.

While it doesn't stain the water anymore... It's still softening my water today.

Still no signs of nitrogen byproducts.

Since the installation, The leaves of the java fern sticking out the water were burning under the light. By playing with light diffuser found in defective LCD screens. On Monday I was able to damp and diffuse the light enough to make the tank look a lot more realistic. I should prevent the Java Fern from burning or develop algae, And at the same time provide some cover where Mr. Big jumped out.

I'm not sure if it's the tanins from the almond tree bark or the light reduction, but the fish looks more relax. And have not behaved frantically since...

I'm also pretty sure it helped on his eyes too... Because he never was hanging at the top under the light before and he does now.

Also Mr. Big blown a large bubble nest :) I must be doing something right.

Still no signs of nitrogen byproducts.

Since the installation, The leaves of the java fern sticking out the water were burning under the light. By playing with light diffuser found in defective LCD screens. On Monday I was able to damp and diffuse the light enough to make the tank look a lot more realistic. I should prevent the Java Fern from burning or develop algae, And at the same time provide some cover where Mr. Big jumped out.

I'm not sure if it's the tanins from the almond tree bark or the light reduction, but the fish looks more relax. And have not behaved frantically since...

I'm also pretty sure it helped on his eyes too... Because he never was hanging at the top under the light before and he does now.

Also Mr. Big blown a large bubble nest :) I must be doing something right.
Take the bubble nest as a good sign! My new betta made one a few days ago but I ruined it with a water change and he hasn't done one since lol.

Nitrogen all 0 today, PH 7.4-7.6

I really love how it's turning.

3Gal.jpg

Tank4.jpg

0 the hero. I think all the plants are literally drinking all nitrogens as soon as produced.

Big starts to know his business... When breakfast comes late I'm expressively reminded.

I got an hold on the bio-film at the surface, that stopped building. And slowly increased Mr. Big meals. I'm able to reach 2 full belly a day and a pea on Friday. For the moment I give him good amounts of a mix of frozen shrimps, Blood and tubifex worms with a couple occasional betta pellets hidden in the mix. Twice a day. All you can eat for 40 seconds.

He doesn't like Fridays. Lolll

Also, I'm getting rigged to do stable photos... "It's in the mail" :)

I like this guy. He has his priorities straight. You are making me want to do a betta tank. I don't like the idea of a tank for one fish, but Big is quite the character.

If your boss allows you to have have them on your desk at the job... Buy the: Fluval aquatics betta premium can. The filtration compartment is like 6 times an Aquaclear 20 and have a very slow movement.

It's all another world... They like the thick bio-film on top, it holds things together, if their bubble nest stays in place they will maintain them, They like dark water, lots of decaying wood and near darkness at the bottom. I'm starting to get used to see him less.

They also maintain their favourite breathing spots sparkling clear by always blowing up before filling their air tank.

I try not to show it too much. But there's quite an unacceptable layer at the moment... But the water is Sparkling good.

When you see a snail in the centre at the surface up-side down feeding on it... You know its thick alright.

Btw 3 snails :) have made it big enough not to be at risk anymore. And are working on the upper level of the tank on algae. since there's not really much that can reach the bottom with Big on job.

I'm just working on balancing that layer... I see, I could cut a couple slice in the top of the filter intake to make a shift skimmer that would work great. with maintaining a certain level of water.

Doing it before installation would have been nice... But now I'm just thinking of doing it

This Fluval aquarium seems very interesting. This doesn't exist here in Brazil (probably here would cost a monthly median wage to buy it). Sometimes I find even my 30-liter aquarium a bit small for my Betta...

That was my first successful Betta tank... a small 20-liter tank. Picture dated 2012.
1704159515895.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back