I need answers ASAP

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goldfish4EVER

Reaction score
Should a 1.5 week old cycling tank have around 0.50-1 ppm(I think?) ammonia levels? I've heard you get around 5 or less on your first week? I really need help please! I want to make sure my tank is cycling properly. Thanks!

Are you adding ammonia? Second question, do you have chloramine used in your tap water? Third question, do you have any live plants and if yes, which?

No, I did not add ammonia from a bottle, but fish food. Nope! I don't have chlorine since I added water conditioner. I have 1 asian water fern.

No, I did not add ammonia from a bottle, but fish food. Nope! I don't have chlorine since I added water conditioner. I have 1 asian water fern.
You should add ammonia.

First, water conditioners may neutralize chlorine, and some chloramine which is a different thing. Chloramine is a bond of ammonia and chlorine, and the ammonia remains beehind. It is worth knowing this, because small readings of ammonia are frequently due to chloramine, so check with your water authority. You are in California, so it is possible they use chloramine.

As for cycling, you can follow the steps in the cycling article on this forum,

My Water Conditioner takes care of both Chlorine AND Chloramine so I'm going to wait and see. I'll update once it's 2 weeks!(1.5 weeks right now)

But my question is if 1 ppm ammonia is to little for a 1.5 week old tank.
At this point you could use a higher ammonia level but the tank will still cycle as is. If you decide to add ammonia make sure that it is NOT Ionized Ammonia, NH4. You want straight ammonia, NH3.

You should read the link in the above posts on cycling.

My Water Conditioner takes care of both Chlorine AND Chloramine so I'm going to wait and see. I'll update once it's 2 weeks!(1.5 weeks right now)

I think you missed my point. When chloramine is added to the water, the conditioner breaks apart the chlorine and ammonia components, detoxifying the chlorine part but ammonia is left. The bacteria or live plants deal with it, but it is common to have "ammonia" showing at low levels. Just answer the simple question, does your water authority use chloramine or not? You need to know this going forward in case you see "ammonia" after every water change.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back