I have found a fish fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

matty111

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was just hoovering the tank and i have found a fish fry is there anything i can make to keep this little oik alive

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Little tiny fry at the top of that tube lol
687d2811f7b2692a932b9033e538818f.jpg

Do you mean that longish speck near the top of the tube?

What fish are in this tank? Might help to ID the fry.

Fry can often survive in thick plants like the Java Moss in the photo, but out in the open larger fish might eat them. Fry can also find natural live food in plants and under wood, etc, which is why we sometimes suddenly see one out and about. I often rescue a fry or two when I clean the canister filter.

Yer the little thing at the top of the tube and i only have galaxy rasboras so i can only imagine it could be them the only thing is that i dont have any food for a fish that small i didnt start any infusoria [emoji852]️

Yer the little thing at the top of the tube and i only have galaxy rasboras so i can only imagine it could be them the only thing is that i dont have any food for a fish that small i didnt start any infusoria [emoji852]️

There is an oto in the photo...do you have just the one, or more than that?

The fry will likely find food in that clump of moss, if you can get it in there and leave it. Dried leaves provide infusoria, I use oak leaves collected from my rear garden every autumn. Pick them up off the ground, rinse them, add a couple; once they waterlog they will sink and you can stick them down between the glass and the moss, or wherever. Fry will grow more rapidly with dried leaves present.

Yer i have 3 otos do you think it could be from them that would be cool i will try and find some oak leaves tonight and add them for future fry thank you

Looks like Otofry (clinging to the tube)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Yes, i would think oto fry too. I have not spawned Galaxy Rasbora, but given that species is a cyprinid the eggs would be scattered (as in the moss), and if some survive and hatch, the fry would be free swimming; I see this from several of my characins species in well planted tanks. My Diamond Tetra, originally seven, now number 35 or more (difficult to count such active swimmers), and in another tank the Lemons have increased from the original eight to 32 or 33 at last count. Over a year or more in both cases. By contrast, Oto fry would cling to surfaces.

Several years ago I had three otos in a 90g tank that was thick with plants. I rarely saw them, given their natural ability to remain motionless on a plant leaf or chunk of wood and be unnoticed. Then one day I saw them and coounted them...there were five. Obviously the three had spawned, and two survived and grew; they were just a bid smaller than the original three, noticeable only when I could count all five at the same time, which I did. Another case of fry being able to manage in an established tank with plants. There is microscopic food available, and for otos this would be the biofilm that forms on all surfaces covered by water, where they can graze on infusoria, algae, etc.

Ahhh interesting god i have only had them in 2weeks of so lol

Update i found more fry in the java moss and the first one is starting to swim around so i can imagine they are galaxy rasbora fry. Very exiting [emoji16] lol its hard to see but lots of eggs in there too woooo does anyone know how to tell when infusia is ready to feed to fry can you actualy see it in the jar

47cc7498f8a5956a28365ca8dbf85fd2.jpg
f718879b5868964e26fe7c37b40f859d.jpg

Last edited:
I have just been looking in the tank and there is a crazy amount of fry swimming around. Im gunna need another tank arent i hahaha

I have just been looking in the tank and there is a crazy amount of fry swimming around. Im gunna need another tank arent i hahaha

Probably, but for the moment, keeping these fry alive and growing is the issue. Natural foods will only go so far, so I would add a few dried leaves; oak, maple, and similar hardwood deciduous tree leaves are safe; collect them fro the ground, i.e., after they die and fall from the tree, in a safe area (no chance of pesticides, chemicals, etc). Indian almond leaves are sold in some fish stores, these work the same. As they decompose, they produce infusoria, first food for all fry. And fry have been shown to grow faster with dried leaves.

Right i will collect some i realy hope the adults dont eat them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back