Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

I am going nuts trying to get rid of an alge problem.

Discussion in 'Algae in Planted Tanks' started by Nosie_poker, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Nosie_poker

Nosie_poker New Member

I bought a new tank, 6 months later it sprung a leak. It was clear, pristine, and had no problems. I had to put my fish in a new tank, new everything. I cleaned it all, let the filter run for three days, added everything I needed to prepare it for the fish. The numbers from both tank were almost the same, not off enough to make a difference. I have been fighting several types of alge ever sense I put my fish in the new tank.

It’s cloudy most of the time, I change out the tank as often as necessary ad then some. I pick out the alge with tweezers, in the stone bottom, off the plants, the two decorations. Had to take the wood out, it was slimy when you clean it, the bottom of the bucket has all this slimie hair like alge all over over the bottom.

I have tried everything to get rid of it, but can’t. I am thinking of getting a new tank, etc. I have sat for hours picking the stuff out, but it is back the next day. I have tried everything I have been told by so called experts, I’ve tried for over four months, and watched some of my fish die! Clean filters, use the proper amounts of bacteria and water clarifier, alge fix no luck. What’s next! Help please

2. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Algae grows from excess light or too many nutrients. If you don't have many live plants then algae will grow due to the light and water.

If the water is milky cloudy there is a bacterial bloom. If the water is green cloudy then it is algae.

Stop adding things to the tank until we know what is going on.

-------------------------
    Can you post pictures of the algae so we know what type you have?
    If the images are too big to fit on the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. Make sure you change the resolution back after otherwise all your pictures will be small. Check the pictures on your computer and find a couple that clearly show the algae. Then post those pics on here.

What type of light do you have on the tank and how long is the light on for?
    How many watts is the light?
    How old are the globes?

What sort of filter do you have?
    How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
    Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
    What type of substrate do you have?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
    If yes, what are the results in numbers?

Do you add any plant fertilisers?

How often do you feed the fish and what do you feed them?

What fish/ shrimp do you have in the tank?

How long has the tank been running for?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Corydoras_Catwoman

Corydoras_Catwoman New Member

Hey! First of all, where is your tank? If it is near a window or light source then you are always going to have algae problems unless you move it. What plants do you have? If you have plants that need a lot of light that might be a problem and also what fish do you have? What type of tank is it? How big is it?

Sorry lots of questions but if the tank is big enough I would reccomend some algae eaters. Maybe a tiger pleco or two or perhaps a school of loaches?

Hope I can help :)

4. essjay

essjay Member

Buying a fish to solve a problem is not the best way to go. We should only buy fish because we like them and our tank is suitable for them

There is no creature (fish, snail or shrimp) that will eat every type of algae, and there are some types of algae that nothing will eat. The best way to deal with algae is to find the cause and sort that out.

Most loaches do not eat algae, except the hillstream loaches.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Corydoras_Catwoman

Corydoras_Catwoman New Member

Of course, it is important to buy a fish because you want them and can accommodate to their needs-I was never suggesting otherwise, however if that fish is also beneficial to your tank and can solve a problem, then that is a factor I would consider.