Hydrogen Peroxide?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B

BettaBettas

I heard that using hydrogen peroxide in the aquarium can remove algae with ease, is this true? and if so how do I use it safely, so that my fix can thrive, I have no snails or shrimp in my 5 gallon as of right now I moved them over to the 5.5 gallon for this reason. Anyone know how 2 use it for a 5 gallon tank? if so plz comment with very descriptive instructions!

Some will use hydrogen peroxide to deal with algae, but like adding any chemical substance, there are risks.

Recently a friend provided me with a scientific paper on ich treatments (results of tests with various "treatments") and there was some interesting data on hydrogen peroxide. [This has been used for ich, but as this study proved, it is very ineffective.] But more to our point, high doses of hydrogen peroxide will cause gill damage and lead to mortality in fish, especially at high temperatures (Schmidt et al. 2006, and Noga, 2010).

I personally would not use hydrogen peroxide in a tank with fish.

Byron.

If you have algae problems it is always better to find and treat the cause of the problem.

I have all sorts of algae in my 5 gallon long, due to the filter being an only overflow filter so it doesn't really Clean the tank, I have to which you should anyway but, yea.
I use algaecide every three days, but it doesn't work? what should I do?

I have all sorts of algae in my 5 gallon long, due to the filter being an only overflow filter so it doesn't really Clean the tank
Strictly speaking filters do not clean the tank they clean the water by removing nutrients.

I use a small sponge filter in my 2 foot Betta tank for circulation mainly.

I use algaecide every three days, but it doesn't work? what should I do?

First up stop using the algaecide its no good for your fish and its not working anyway.

Now you need to look at a number of things, the first being nutrient levels in the tank these can be caused by overstocking over feeding and lack of water changes.

Now you need to look at a number of things, the first being nutrient levels in the tank these can be caused by overstocking over feeding and lack of water changes.
I do water changes weekly, that should be enough for the water changes right? and I definitely don't over feed, I feed my fish once every 2 days but at a slow medium amount, rate that works for both me and them

Algae is natural in an aquarium with nutrients and light. The aim is to keep it under control. If you have live plants, these should use the nutrients and light, leaving algae at a disadvantage. If problem algae still persists, then the light and nutrients are not balanced. You want sufficient light (intensity and duration both factor in) and nutrients (these come from fish/fish foods, and plant additives if any) to satisfy the plants. Once this balance is out of whack, algae has an advantage.

We will need to know the light specs, plants present if any, and fish load. Do not use algaecides as they will harm fish. As we have mentioned, the cause has to be remedied.

Byron.

I feed my fish everyday.
cool, so is there any way to remove the algae killing my fish, ive now had 2 fish die in 2 days, 1 a day. the algae in my tank is making the plants turn brown, with little hairs on them, also the water is PURE green and I can barely see into it, anyone know how to remove?? quick!

I do water changes weekly, that should be enough for the water changes right?

First you need to step up your water changes, in your case once a week is not enough, 50% every other day with dechlorinated water.

A few photos of the tank would help also the water parameters, what are you feeding the fish, what chemicals do you add,

don't add chemicals, and I feed the fish just regular flake food, ill post images 1 sec here

5paek0tiz

The image doesn't show for me...but to move to the issue you asked about. Data on your tank lighting is needed, as light is part of the balance. What type is it, spectrum, watts..anything you can tell us.

The green water is unicellular algae, caused by high nutrients/organics in the presence of light. Same cause as your problem algae.

I ask about the light because higher plants need specific light, but algae can make do with any light. Duration also factors in, so tell us how long the light is on each day.

Nutrients/organics are controlled by fish load and feeding (I think we've cleared that up), water changes, substrate cleaning, and filter cleaning.

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? You mentioned fish dying...algae itself will not kill fish, but the underlying cause might. Also, what is the pH? The pH and nitrates can be a clue to something wrong generally, and ammonia and nitrite should be tested when fish are dying.

Also, have you tested the tap water on its own for nitrate? And pH?

Byron.

led light with, 5 hours of on time. idk anything about he led's thought or about the light itself sorry! ammonia and nitrates idk but the ph is neutral as of right now, ill get the rest tested tomorrow as I live out in the country and don't own a test kit on me, I have the little ph test strips but I do get water tested every week at My local petco

add on ^
Also I use distilled water for all my tanks, (a specific brand) since its just better, I don't use the tap around here as its hard an acidic

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back