How to stock my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Goffinator

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the aquarium world so I was looking for some advice on what fish I could add to my tank as I haven't had much luck doing it myself. I've currently got 2 angelfish, a blue gourami, a gold gourami, and a platty( I had 3 more but they died soon after adding them to the tank hence why I'm here) in a 30 gallon tank. So to summerize I was wondering what fish (If any) I could add to the tank that would go well with what I currently have. Thanks in advance :)

None as your tank is already over stocked. For the number and species of fish you already have, I wouldn't keep then in anything less than a 55gal tank. If the gourami are Trichopodus trichopterus they will grow a good 6 inches while the angels will also grow quite large. Having so many large fish in a 30gal will lead to problems later down the road.

For now, if you were to keep either one gourami or one angel fish and then add a single school of something like white skirt tetras, you would be good.

What is your pH and is your water soft or hard? Livebearers like platties need hard water with a higher pH while angels and gourami prefer softer water with a lower pH.

I knew the angels would get large but I didn't know the gouramis would get so big, how do you tell if the water is soft or hard? Is it just the different pH levels? And I'm not sure of my pH levels right now I need to get a testing kit I just haven't had the time to do it. I'll post what they are as soon as I get the chance. I plan to get a larger tank at some point in the future so that I could accommodate the angels better, how quickly do fish grow? And how soon should I look at getting a bigger tank?

Hardness and pH are different things. Hardness is the amount of certain types of minerals in the water. Your water supplier's website should give your hardness somewhere. If you can't find it, tell us the name of the company and we'll see what we can find.
You need both the hardness number and the unit as they could use any one of half a dozen different units.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back