How To Make Your Fish Glow In The Dark

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cotton candy parrot fish and i have seen glass catfish with the dye too. my old petco boss didnt think to nice of me when i called him a poophole (said differently but there are kids here) for ordering them. after i let the management know that i would quit if they ordered stuff without my aproval i got 100% no hassle ordering what i wanted. then again i too a crummy fish dept from -$500 a week sales to about +$2000. every tuesday the tanks were bare fresh and salt awaiting the new shipment. then i got a new manger that bleeched the tanks to kill some alge and killed everything. i quit and it took 5 months for them to get anything sw to live in that store again.

i know you people look down on painting fish but those mixed fruit tetras or whatever thay are called from petsmart look just stunning under a blacklight. my glofish also look great. even the pleco kind of glows a small ammount.

This is going way off topic here, I'll leave it open for now, as it is, considering the volatile nature of the topics under discussion, very civilised. If that changes, it's toast.

It also happens to be a topic of great personal interest to me.

There is a thread here with some information about dyed fish. Sadly, over the years, a number of the pictures have gone. Death By Dying contains a lot of information. Practical Fishkeeping magazine has been campaigning against these practices, (you may need to register to read PFK artciles, it costs nothing and the site is a worthwhile read anyway).

An attempt to get the results of the dying/tatooing/painting trade outlawed in the UK failed earlier this year, but the fight continues. You can get the bill and supporting documents from FOCAS. The board had a letter writing campaign, here. Reading the replies from various MP's, a number of logic holes appear in the argument, and the door is left open for further challenges.

As I recall, the transgenic "GloFish" are illegal in the EU.

They had the glofish in my LFS the last time I was there. They looked healthy, and their behavior was normal for zebra danios. I'm sure they aren't in pain, it doesn't make them sick, and they were born that way so there has never been a time in their lives when they were treated any differently than any other zebra danios. I'm not sure how they went about the original splicing of genes and whether that was ethical or not, but if I liked the look of them (which doesn't really appeal to me), I wouldn't have a problem with keeping them. They probably don't even notice they are different from the regular danios.

Don't get me wrong here, though. I have a major problem with dying. The only reason I don't mind the glofish is that I'm convinced they are not affected by the addition of the color.

I am concerned by the pictures of the dwarf gouramis on the painted fish site linked earlier.

It looks to me like the "painted" gourami picture is used not only to show a painted fish, but a non-painted fish. (one picture says "here is a painted gourami" and then below it, the caption says that your painted fish will eventually fade and look like ... the same picture used above, indicating that it wasn't painted)

I have also read that the bright reds and blues are a hybrid strain or other sub-species and not a dying process.

These gouramis look completely different from the dyed glass fish, tetras, and parrotfish I commonly see in pet stores. I would question the truth in the information before assuming your gouramis (or the one at the lfs) are dyed. Dyes don't last long, but the powder blue or neon blue gouramis retain their color through their life.

-Nerwign

The pictures on that site aren't accurate. The tetras- the dyed one is a white widow tetra, the other is a completely different species. Undyed, it would just be white. The gouramis- the one on the left is a dwarf, the one on the right, honey.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back