How To Make Your Fish Glow In The Dark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish-r-fancy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay well my dad and I were at home depot the other day and we saw some black lights. They come in like all sizes. I like to keep both a "fake tank" and a "natural tank"(My 55 gallon is my natural tank and my 20 gallon is my fake tank). So we bought a black light for my 20 gallon and it was only like $10. We put the light in my 20 gallon and turned it on. My 20 gallon has a florescent cave in it that glowed like crazy! I'm going to get all painted tetras to put in the tank because the florescent stripe will glo, just like my florescent cave. I can't wait.

Urmm.... Do you know how those tetras get like that? They take them out of the water, get a hypodermic needle filled with dye (note how thick this needle will be compared to the fish) and then insert it along the fish's spine. 80% mortality rate, probably higher when you include in lfss and home tanks. And after all that horrendous cruelty, the dye doesn't even last that long. And they are so weakened they are extrememly suseptable to disease.

Urmm.... Do you know how those tetras get like that? They take them out of the water, get a hypodermic needle filled with dye (note how thick this needle will be compared to the fish) and then insert it along the fish's spine. 80% mortality rate, probably higher when you include in lfss and home tanks. And after all that horrendous cruelty, the dye doesn't even last that long. And they are so weakened they are extrememly suseptable to disease.

OMG that horrible! I now refuse to buy those fish! I'm surprised that's not illegal! Whta kinds of other fish are dyed so thta I know not to buy them? Thank you so much for warning me.

It's horrible what some people will do to a poor fish. The other day I was reading a post that showed a pic of a parrot chichlid with flowers on it. :no:

So i'm just curious....

No harsh feelings or making enemy's here but how many of you are vegitarians? Or don't eat fish?
I'm a vegan just because I've read how cruel and unessacary animals can be treated and injected with antibiotics and hormones. Wouldn't this be the same with fish you buy and fish you eat? I mean you can't say that is not cruel to inject a fish with dye but not think it is cruel to have animals beaten and you know scalded alive in hair removal tanks.

Or similar to how fish are genetically altered and people are against that but so are alot of domestic farm animals(and fish on farms) are Genetically altered but it seems okay as long as your going to eat it.

I'm really not like bashing on anyone who eats meat I Heart Meat eaters but I was just curious how many of you eat fish or stand up for animal (and fishy) rights. I LOVEEEE you alllll

So i'm just curious....

No harsh feelings or making enemy's here but how many of you are vegitarians? Or don't eat fish?
I'm a vegan just because I've read how cruel and unessacary animals can be treated and injected with antibiotics and hormones. Wouldn't this be the same with fish you buy and fish you eat? I mean you can't say that is not cruel to inject a fish with dye but not think it is cruel to have animals beaten and you know scalded alive in hair removal tanks.

Or similar to how fish are genetically altered and people are against that but so are alot of domestic farm animals(and fish on farms) are Genetically altered but it seems okay as long as your going to eat it.

I'm really not like bashing on anyone who eats meat I Heart Meat eaters but I was just curious how many of you eat fish or stand up for animal (and fishy) rights. I LOVEEEE you alllll

Luckily, thats not a world-wide fenomenon. In Italy, raised meat MUST be culled using an approved method. Slitting a throat, is not approved (hence, hallal meat is VERY hard to find). Generally speaking, its the bolt in the head, which is fairly humane (its fast... lets leave it at that).

As for glofish, those are ONLY in the states, and even some states have banned its sale (cali anyone?)

Not bashing here, but that said, I only buy meat from 2 places... When I am in the UK the local farm, which isn't the best meat (a little tough, but most meat in England is); and in Italy from my local butcher.

Its not an issue of not eating meat, its an issue of knowing where to buy your meat.

Michele

I dont eat fish but there is a differnce with breeding featherless chickens and pinker salmon if they are jus going to be culled and eaten.

A fish altered for a life in an aquarium has got to live with its alterations all tis life, its not going to be killed...

There is a pecking order in life, and we are at the top and the people at the top of *our* pecking order are the ones that decide to do thse things. In the long run, they do benefit us, cheaper more plentiful meat, we didnt ask for it, we didnt cause it, what can we do about it?

Okay well my dad and I were at home depot the other day and we saw some black lights. They come in like all sizes. I like to keep both a "fake tank" and a "natural tank"(My 55 gallon is my natural tank and my 20 gallon is my fake tank). So we bought a black light for my 20 gallon and it was only like $10. We put the light in my 20 gallon and turned it on. My 20 gallon has a florescent cave in it that glowed like crazy! I'm going to get all painted tetras to put in the tank because the florescent stripe will glo, just like my florescent cave. I can't wait.

I've heard frequently that those lights are mildly cancerogenic to humans(which is why I'm not allowed to get one), so i would imagine it would be worse for small fish with much thinner skin :crazy: . They are funky, however dyed fish are not :no: . Glad you know now, it would be terrible if you found out after buying them :X .

They can give you skin cancer, but only if you stand nakid surrounded in hudnreds of them for hours and hours. A UV light emmits less UV light than the sun does, at worst itw ill tan you and hurt your eyes (If you stare at it too much)

They can give you skin cancer, but only if you stand nakid surrounded in hudnreds of them for hours and hours. A UV light emmits less UV light than the sun does, at worst itw ill tan you and hurt your eyes (If you stare at it too much)
Really? Then why the f*ck cant i get one?! :( I think im going to have to do alot of moaning at my parents :sly: .

Well I'm not going to be standing ynder the light or looking at it for a long time so I think I'll be fine. alaso when you say staring at the light do you mean directly into the light or at an aquarium lite by them?

the light reflecting off objects will emit UV light into your skin and your eye, but in such a minute ammount it would make no differnce. If you stare directly into the tube for several minuets it will knaker your eyes up for afew hours,

when you look diretly at the sun its the intense UV light that screws yoru eyes up.

Incidentaly, its UV light energy that cooks your bacon when you put it under the grill....

it does less harm then walking outside everyday, and they say being in the sun too long is a carcinogen. arc/mig welding is even worse.

one thing about the blacklight is cause of the UV emittance, and the fact that fish have clear eye lids, their eyes are exposed the entire time the light is on, causing them to eventually go blind. so merely having the black light in there is cruelty in itself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back