How to adjust a Tetra Whisper 4 (And is it strong enough for tank?)

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I might be able to get a 10 gallon like new with lid, lights and a Tetra Whisper 4 filter for a song and dance. I'm concerned that the filter will be strong enough for a ten gallon, and also want to know if you can replace the cartridge with your own sponge, floss and bio balls (or equivalent) You'd have to shape the sponge of course but I've been getting pretty good at that with my other tanks. It looks like it CAME with the TW4... but isn't that for UP TO 4 gallons? Please let me know! This is for a betta, most likely the only fish that will be in the tank. If I do ANYTHING else it will likely be an African dwarf frog. I have experience with them. Not other fish so much. Thanks!

Yes, looks like a Tetra Whisper 4 is only rated for 4 gallons. With just a beta, and possibly a frog, the Whisper 4 MIGHT be OK with regular water changes and substrate vacuums but I'd get a bigger pump. Then again I overkill my pumps. I have a 20 gallon tank with under gravel filtration driven by dual Whisper 20s. There is also built in filtration as in sponges pushing 93 gallons per hour. Point on that is I consider it nearly, if not totally, impossible to over filter a tank but very easy to under filter. You can get a Whisper 10 for around $15.00 on-line.

Yes, looks like a Tetra Whisper 4 is only rated for 4 gallons. With just a beta, and possibly a frog, the Whisper 4 MIGHT be OK with regular water changes and substrate vacuums but I'd get a bigger pump. Then again I overkill my pumps. I have a 20 gallon tank with under gravel filtration driven by dual Whisper 20s. There is also built in filtration as in sponges pushing 93 gallons per hour. Point on that is I consider it nearly, if not totally, impossible to over filter a tank but very easy to under filter. You can get a Whisper 10 for around $15.00 on-line.
Was looking at this in addition to the 4. I want to get a sponge anyway to aid in cycling the new tank. This has both mechanical and biological filtration and would kill two birds with one stone (by adding it to the 4). Curious if it would work in tandem. I'm on disability and it's a really tough couple of months with medical bills. Just curious. Thanks!
In corner

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Was looking at this in addition to the 4. I want to get a sponge anyway to aid in cycling the new tank. This has both mechanical and biological filtration and would kill two birds with one stone (by adding it to the 4). Curious if it would work in tandem. I'm on disability and it's a really tough couple of months with medical bills. Just curious. Thanks!
In corner
Grrrrrrrr...... I just don't like those types of filters as they really only filter what right around them instead of the whole tank. With just having a beta and, possibly, a frog it would probably do OK but I would suggest that you move the substrate around to bring stuff away from the filter to an area around the filter.

Personally, with a 10 gallon tank, I'd probably forget the whole 'corner filter' aspect and spend ~$30.00 to get an under gravlel filtration and a Whisper 20.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back