How should I stock my approximate 90L fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The gh is >3 <4 if that helps

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

What is the unit of measurement? There is ppm, mg/l (these two are the same in the end), dGH, dClark, etc.

Fine, so that is 3-4 dGH which is absolutely perfect for soft water fish. With a 90cm (3 feet) length tank of 90 liters (23 gallons) you have several options, but stay with smallish species. Characins (tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish), rasbora, catfish like cories plus some of the pleco-types, will all work as far as water is concerned, and aside from the larger tetras, most of these will work size-wise. A pair of dwarf cichlids as someone mentioned with some of the foregoing as "dither" fish. You mentioned gourami, and so long as you stay with the smaller species like the pygmy sparkling, and there are some rarer ones, this would work. Many options.

Byron.

Thanks you soooo much for having the patience with me and for the great advice from everybody especially from you Byron. Really helped me alot.
Will keep you guys updated on what I'll get.
Dillan

Hi guys can you maybe tell me the name of this fish saw it at the pet shop but forgot its name. Will be greatly appreciated.
Dillan
a446c6dc90b56904e2dbf1ceae7147e4.jpg

Those are cichlids, but the poor fish are so stressed out they have lost much of their pattern/colour and I can't see sufficiently to ID the species.

BTW, this is exactly what comes of keeping fish in bare-bottom tanks and then with little refuge. You can see a couple of them hiding for dear life. I know some stores follow this practice, but it is not good for the fish, and can inflict permanent problems.

So should I not buy from such a store?

So should I not buy from such a store?

I would say that depends upon the fish species, the other issues with the store, what other stores you have to deal with. I would have to be there are know more about the store. I have bought fish from bare bottom tanks myself. My reason for mentioning this in my previous post was more to illustrate than condemn.

Oh okay thanks its quite hard to choose from a store because most I know has bad quality with the exception of maybe a few that I know of.
Does anybody know any good store around the Cape Town area?

Where do you guys usually buy your fish?

Okay I think I have decided more or less what I want to have in my tank:
1. Rams (hopefully a pair)
2. Angelfish (1)
3. Somthing like neons or cardinal tetras. Probably a school of 10.

1. I definitely want rams in. Still deciding German or Bolivian but I think I'm going to go with Bolivian rams due to them being the hardier than the German Ram.

2. The angelfish might be replaced, because its adult size is quite big, with some other fish but for now it sounds good. Any recommendations of something else?

3. Want to have some type of schooling fish that has alot of colour, thus I'm thinking neons or cardinals.

According to Animal-world, Bolivian Rams like to sift through fine substrate (so another reason to get sand rather than gravel). It does say however, "Be aware they do tend to harrass and eat tetras." I was just looking this up because I like these guys too and am thinking about my next tank, so I'm following this thread with interest. :)

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/BolivianRam.php

Cool yeah okay but I think if I get a big enough schooling fish they would be fine, right.

Okay I think I have decided more or less what I want to have in my tank:
1. Rams (hopefully a pair)
2. Angelfish (1)
3. Somthing like neons or cardinal tetras. Probably a school of 10.

1. I definitely want rams in. Still deciding German or Bolivian but I think I'm going to go with Bolivian rams due to them being the hardier than the German Ram.

2. The angelfish might be replaced, because its adult size is quite big, with some other fish but for now it sounds good. Any recommendations of something else?

3. Want to have some type of schooling fish that has alot of colour, thus I'm thinking neons or cardinals.

I would not consider angelfish; the tank is not sufficient space, and this is not the best for the angelfish, alone, plus when stressed (as being alone can do) they may become more aggressive. Also, mature angelfish frequently see linear fish like neons and cardinals as food. When fish are maintained in an environment that is so contrary to what they are programmed for, they are usually under stress. Avoid the risk.

Rams. Bolivian is a better choice because it will be fine at "normal" temperatures (blue ram needs warmth, 80F/27C minimum). If you want two, in such a small tank, they will have to be a bonded pair, or one of them will be dead before long. I would recommend a single Bolivian Ram on its own. This species is believed to live in isolation in its habitat, except when spawning. I had a male that lived into its ninth year (which is well past their normal lifespan) on his own. Being a cichlid, he "owned" the tank, and kept everyone else (tetras, catfish) in line, which was fascinating to observe.

There are endless possibilities for shoaling fish, tank size being the only restraining factor. Bolivian Ram is peaceful, it will sometimes "lay down the law" to cories that get in its way at feeding, since rams eat from the substrate just as cories do, but this usually is confined to a shove or two to exert its dominance. Cardinals would be a better choice than neons, of these two you mention, primarily because neons prefer cooler water and the Bolivian should not be quite that cool, so with a temperature around 76-77F (25 C) the cardinal would fare better. A group of 9-10 would be fine. You could even increase the temperature a degree for both, depending what other fish you acquire.

Cories are often good fish in community tanks. All of this leaves the upper level rather empty, as cories, rams and cardinals are primarily lower-level fish, mid-tank and below in the water column. Hatchetfish are an option, but only the smaller species in the genus Carnegiella, maybe the popular Marble Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata), in a group of 8-10.

Or there is the Rocket or Diptail Pencilfish, Nannostomus eques, that swims at an oblique angle and remains in the upper water. A group of 8-10.

Just some ideas.

Edit. Just noticed BeckyCats post. Yes, sand is a better substrate period. Cories and rams should be over sand, as they do sift it for food, this is a part of their inherent behaviours. As for eating small fish, I've never observed that, and I have had Bolivian Rams twice, but that doesn't prove anything. But in suitable surroundings, such "exceptions" are less likely. Back to my point above on angelfish being more aggressive in unsuitable surroundings, this is very common with fish. Providing them with an environment (the aquascape, water parameters, decor, other species) that is natural for the species will tend to avoid the problems.

Byron.

Yeah I also kinda thought the angelfish was not going to fit in but I kinda want to have a male and female pair to breed. And heating is not a problem because I already have a heater for the tank. But the scape of the tank should be sand with lots of plants and hiding places and caves, right?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back