How Much Water Flow/current...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The city added something to the water and I lost all but 3. The 3 that are left are great. I lost 19 due to a water change at a bad time. That almost killed me.
I now have about 30 3 day old eggs in the cloudy tank between the thermometer and corner. If you look really close you can see them.
This is why I am so worried about the water quality.
That same sand has been in there for a long time. It was clear this morning and this evening it looks like someone blew ten tons of smoke in it.

I definately have omts! I am getting a 55g when our refund gets here! He said yes... finally!

I am also looking (planning) into building a special tank just for my corys. It will be long and short. :drool:

Yeah I have lots of mishaps and learn something new daily. Let me know when you figure it out.

I have lost some babies with almost everything I try. Then I adjust and do better the next time. It broke my heart when I lost most of my tiny adult pandas to my attempt to change the water temps. Everyone gets 75 degrees now. When Chas., my long fin supplier, sent me a wonderful group of breeders, the USPS decided to play catch the mail man and I lost fish in every bag--about 9 or 10 hard to get cories. More heartbreak.

With the baby rearing I am still getting it down and am getting more results all the time. I now have babies from the LF albino peppers, the sterbai, the LF bronze, the San Juans, the regular peppers and grow out will tell what else. I am nearly ready to take a LF albino group to market, but I lost lots getting there.

Do you mean individually or species from species or group from one source and another?

I have to get ready and go to work now. I will get back to you

They aren't peppers from this angle. Peppers have shinny plates near the gills just like regular peppers. Peppers are the only albinos I have. I am pretty sure the headon cory is a lady though :)

The fat one is a lady and the other one is a male. I just don't know what kind they are. I am thinking they may be different because they don't hang around each other. It took me all day to catch them together long enough to get a pic.

Here is another one...
View attachment 43820

Can you tell anything?

This is the only other one I have of them. They tend to stay on opposite sides of the tank.
View attachment 43821

I Thought that they were bronze at first. Now I'm not so sure. :blink:

Thanks for helping :good:

Any one that might know about the smokey water... Please help me out! I can't figure it out. It doesn't look like sand. It is very smoothe looking like smoke. You can even see it moving in the flow of the water. Water changes don't help either. I have now tried that too.

No, I really cannot tell about the species of your albinos. Try comparing the noses. Some species have longer noses and some shorter. Sterbai noses are pretty snubbed and rounded; bronze are a little more long and pointed. You might be able to compare with some photos on Planet Catfish. My first thought when I saw the lady was sterbai, but I can't really see the profile, and I am no expert at telling albino species--or very many species as far as that goes.

As far as the water is concerned I gave my ideas. Try one of the other forums--emergency, newby, chat....

I had a short chat with Tolak and found out that it is probably the tubifex I fed them.
I put in a polishing pad and will do a lot of very small water changes. I can't do much at a time because of the eggs being less than an inch from the top. I don't want to do anything to hurt my little ones. They should hatch in a few days. Then I can do better.
I looked on the catfish site. They all look pretty much the same to me.

Well... I have to try to get some sleep now.
I hope to talk to you again soon.

Maybe someone will come along and say "I know what those are" and they will tell me.

Their noses are almost just alike. They are both really short and rounded. The only difference is that her head is fatter than his so his nose is a little more pointed. (not much though)
They look the same to me, but they don't ever hang around eachother except when eating.
She looks ready to breed and he does not act the least bit interrested. I know they are about the same age, because I got them when they were small. They were the same size then. She is now almost twice his size.

Should I just get more albinos and hope that I get some of the same kind or what? I am trying to get my numbers right for each kind I have, but it is hard to do with these not knowing for sure what they are.

Thanks for helping :good:

Most times if corys can see each other 24/7 they don't shoal together. Your 2 might just be doing that because they are in a smaller tank.

The rounded nose makes me guess sterbai. Is she laying eggs? Perhaps she is not signalling a spawn. I understand that the female will release hormones signalling and inducing the males response. My San Juan lady was a house, but it took the right circumstances for her to signal the release of eggs and trigger the spawn.

There is a great pc of a sterbai albino on this page. click the pic for a larger view.
here

I notice that the albino still has the distinctive orange fins so attractive on the sterbai.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back