How Much Water Flow/current...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey. I have peppered, elegans, and some kind of albino.

Do they like lots of water movement or just a little?

I am trying to fix my tanks more to suite them. What do they really like best?

Will trili go good with these? Do they like the same things?

Thanks for any and all info. :good:

I have 7 pepper and about 30+ eggs. Don't need more of these. I have 2 breeding pair and 3 youths.
I an looking for more elegans. 1 female and 2 male. I have 1 female and 1male now.
And once I find out for sure what kind my albinos are I do plan to get more of them. 1 female and 2 male.I have 1 female and 1 male now.
I also need some more bronze if I can find them. I would like about 4 males. I have 2 females now.
My store stopped getting them so I am left hunting. I plant to get the numbers up as soon as I can find them.

Can you tell me what kind of current/ water flow is best for them?

I'd go for lots of flow, but add some raised slate 'shelves' so that they can rest behind them. Food will accumilate there for them as well.

So far I am finding that my Cories seem to like a fast flow at some spot. That is where they dance and spawn. I have not tried all my cories with this, but the tank with the best flow they like has an Eclipse III hood and is a tall 40 usg. There are sterbai, Brochis, and long fin bronze. They play in the current and spawn all day there. (I don't think the Brochis have spawned there, but they do play in the current.)

I remember reading in NEONCORY's thread that the pandas like to play in the current and spawn too.

It makes sense since they are mostly river fish I believe and rivers have currents. But rivers also have still pools, so maybe not all like currents. I have not seen the peppers chosing currents yet. Try a power head for the water movement. A spout or spirt of water seems to be more effective than a fall of water like from a hang on filter.

Hey Sue! Where have you been? I've missed you.
Thanks for the info.
How do power heads work? (What would I need to run one?)
Good to know you are still around.
Thanks again :good:

for my fish... What kind of shelves? Is there a pic somewhere to show what you mean? (and how to do it)
Thanks.

Hi! ICEE!

Doing taxes and trying to get caught up on my fishy duties. :rolleyes: I had some losses with my new Cories and sudden saddnesses with my Betta. I am trying to set up something for growout tanks and have set up two new large tanks. I always lose fish when I make major changes. I am now officially breeding and raising fish--haha--even got some business accounts to track my loss of money in the tropical fish trade. :look: :p

Powerheads are like water pumps but shoot the water out a nozzle. I have one that I have not set up for my goldie or whatever I eventually put it to use doing. Always years behind in my diy. haha They are used with canister filters also I believe. I doubt there is any real issue setting them up. They are just basically a water pump I think, much like using an air pump that goes in the water--plug it in and go--???? You could also try an air pump and an air curtain perhaps.

I suppose the issue with the shelves is to provide cover and a place to rest protected from the stronger currents--think river. Most lfs or good lps carry slate. I think there is other decor that will accomplish the same. Your choices depend on the tank decor.

HA! You have a bad case of OMTS!

Whatever you use for the current, make sure it will work with your plants and substrate. I'm thinking that a strong air stone in a clear spot might work for the current swimmers.

View attachment 43818
This is the 10g breeding tank.
This is the one that just went smokey. It doesn't show as much in the pic, but you can see it some. In person it is bad.

2 things...
1. Do I need more hiding spots?
2. What could have caused my tank to go all smokey?

What have you done recently different? Added any meds or something that could affect the plants?

omts= One More Tank Syndrome--and you are hooked!

My new tank had some cloudy issues when I treated it and some of the plants objected. Salt will do that too and lots of meds wil displve some plants to mush.

That substrate is sand so maybe it is dusty and is stirring up?

How are your babies doing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back