how many neons equal 1 inch of fish?

bettalady

Reaction score
in a 15 gallon tank could we put about 30 neons????or is 1 fish per gal the rule
thanks
karen

There is no "rule" there are general guidelines for a suggested maximum. A common guideline you will see is 1"/25mm of fish per gallon. That assumes a normal shaped tank however, tall tanks and especially hex tanks have a smaller surface area so should not have as many fish in them.

Neons can grow to more then 1"/25mm but rarely do. Without further knowledge, I would say that 10-12 Neons is a better estimate.

I agree, I'd go with 12, maybe 15 but no more!! Neons CAN'T produce THAT much waste, can they??

Silver
:*

I think I goofed as I have in my 15 gal 5 neons, 4rummy nose tetras, 5 green bards and some other fish too..my tank is in excellent maintenance..but to me at this time it seems a bit too many fish..am having a hard time deciding which fish to pass on to some friends or maybe trade in at pet shop..I cannot put up another tank at this time.. i mentioned the number of fish to my fish shop and they said that as long as I do my water changes often (I do 25 per cent each week) and the fish are ok it should be ok..My main concern is when the barbs grow..then something will havae to go..they are tiny now
I love this hobby!!:)

i think thats to many but if u did just neons i would say maybe 20 with good air and filtration but 15 would be ok and 10 best dependingf on how much maitance u want.

when using the rule should you apply it to where the fish normally hang out and not include bottom of the tank (tetras) or the territory of established fish?
and a gallon is like 3.785 litres right? and whats the uk and american diference?

Most reactions

Back