How Many Neon Tetra's In A 60L Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gen

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just inherited a 60Lt tank. I am intending to put in either just Neon Tetras or Neons and 1 other Tetra/small fish type.

I have read the 1" fish/one gallon rule, I have also read conflicting information on the Min Number of Tetra's you should have together. Do I have enough room for 2 types?

If I do have a second set I'd like them to be a similar size but contracting colour to the Neon's.

Thnaks!
Gen

Well if you were just going to go with neons I would say 10 would good in that size tank. In terms of another type of tetra I might suggest Blackskirts, I find they do ok in smaller schools and don't swim as much as other tetras. So maybe you could go with 5-6 neons and 3 blackskirts.

No you need blackskirts in at least 5/6 as well.

My advice would be to go for 10 Green neons and 10 Chilli rasboras :) Dark substrate lots of branchy wood etc would look stunning :good:

60 litre tank,that means 15 gallon tank..here you can keep a school of 10-12 neon tetras...

Well if you were just going to go with neons I would say 10 would good in that size tank. In terms of another type of tetra I might suggest Blackskirts, I find they do ok in smaller schools and don't swim as much as other tetras. So maybe you could go with 5-6 neons and 3 blackskirts.

i would stick with 10 neons, they would be happier, di

One larger shoal will look better as the fish behave in a more natural way and would be better for the fish. However, I don't see a problem with 6 neons and 6 of another small type of shoaling fish (tetra, rasboras, small barbs). It's not super ideal but perfectly do-able.

One word about neons - they really need to have had the tank set up and matured (so, with fish in and excellent water conditions) for a good few months before adding them. They are really fragile and die very, very easily.

Have a read of this link. Even though you have aquired a second hand tank, everything in there still applies. You need to understand about cycling the tank and the effects of build ups of organic matter before you even think abiout adding fish to the tank.

If you decide to go with a single species, I agree that you could have 15 to 20 neons. For contrast you could look at black neons. They grow a bit bigger than a neon so that would limit you to maybe 6 of each species.
Black neons
BlackNeons800.jpg

If neons where the only fish in the tank i would say about 25.

I think we have to remember this is a new tank with a rookie fishkeeper. In that situation once the tank is cycled, I'd say 12.

If you're going for just neons I would go for 15-20

If you decide to go with a single species, I agree that you could have 15 to 20 neons. For contrast you could look at black neons. They grow a bit bigger than a neon so that would limit you to maybe 6 of each species.
Black neons
BlackNeons800.jpg

If neons where the only fish in the tank i would say about 25.

For an experienced fishkeeper with an excellent understanding of plants and filtration, maybe . . .

But I think the OP should stick with 12-15 tetras and if he wants to later on and if he has a solid understanding of biological filtration, water turnover and such, then maybe add to it down the line.

Gotta agree with Assaye and Jonty. 12-15 would be a sensible bioload for someone new to the hobby with a 60l tank.

But up to 25 is achievable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back