How many neon tetas can fit in my 10 gallon tank?

Has the tank been stripped down since the Betta was in it? if so you need to start from scratch and cycle your tank. All the friendly bacteria will have died if the tank has been dry. My Neons are well hardy, i put mine in after only 3 weeks and they are doing great. IMO Neons are a great starter fish.

Mark.

Yeah it has been a couple years since the Betta died in the tank so it has been dry since then.

Torrean said:
I'd say about 350.

but you might have to take out the water, gravel, plants, and ornaments first. :lol:

Sorry I know i'm not funny but I try anyway.
glad i read through the thread first.....i was about type a reply just as sarcastic as yours Torrean!! :p

steve

I would'nt say that neons tetra's cant go in a newly cycled or new set up. I put neons in my tank when i was cycling and I still have all of them. My tank is now cycled and my neons are huge. Everyone kept telling me to get rid of the neons because they are sensitive but im sorry my neons are happy little guys.

If the tank has been dry for 2 years you need to start again. I used 4 Platies in mine to start the cycle and after 3 weeks when the Nitrite was falling I got my Neons. This worked for me just fine, although I probably rushed it a bit. All the Platies and Neons are still alive and thriving. When the Ammonia and Nitrite were high I was doing a 30% water change every day if this helps. Good luck!!

Mark.

So you got this, now dry, tank that used to house a betta yes? Now it has been fishless cycled with pure ammonia for a month - correct? So you've been adding some ammonia daily and now you'd like to add some fish. You are still adding ammonia daily and all levels are still steady? Then I suggest you do a nice big water change to bring nitrAtes down and get a couple of neons right after (same day). In a week, test again and then get a couple more. After another week, a couple more and so on until you have 10. Don't over-do it just because they don't produce a lot of waste - you still need to consider physical space and, besides, the 'inch per gallon guideline' many people use to calculate the capacity of a tank takes into consideration tiny fish just like neons. Don't forget displacement from the gravel/ornaments. You probably have about 9 gallons in there and if you have an internal filter, even less. So 10 neons is actualy quite generous. If you want to be on the safe side, get a male platy or two first. In about a week test ammonia/nitrIte levels and then you can start adding neons until you have 8. 2 platies and 8 neons in a 10 gallon would be quite nice actualy. Keep in mind that you should do water changes whenever you see nitrAtes rising above 20ppm.

I have been told that you can keep about 6-8 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank. I am planning to do this too. when I started I had 3 guppies and 3 platys and they seemed ok.

Mate, this thread is 8 years old. Neon tetras need a 15 gallon minimum as they're very active. Don't put any in a 10 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back