How long is my female guppy allowed to stay in a breeder!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Danegerous101

Reaction score
So I resently got a guppy from the store and it turns out it's pregnant and I don't know how long it's been pregnant. I have it in the breeder right now. But I don't know if it's safe for it to stay in there considering I have no idea how long it will take for her to give birth. Please Help!!!!

So I resently got a guppy from the store and it turns out it's pregnant and I don't know how long it's been pregnant. I have it in the breeder right now. But I don't know if it's safe for it to stay in there considering I have no idea how long it will take for her to give birth. Please Help!!!!
Depending on your breeder size I think , in my case , I have two breeder , one is a much larger one like a big square net where the other one is a plastic made small one , I don't cover the top for both but turns out usually the guppies in the small one are expressing much more stress and they will try to jump back into the main tank area .

I won't say it's unsafe to put them in a small breeder but seems like they are more vulnerable in a small one . Generally speaking , I heard ppl usually say it's best not too keep them for too long ( few days ) but I don't think there is a golden rule for that , I got friend who put the guppies for two weeks and are just fine , the idea is they seems getting more stress when they realize their got locked up , if we want to minimize the risk that they got too much stress in it ,it's always better to keep it as short as possible.

On the other hand , some ppl believe it's better to put them into a breeder early (like one week before giving birth )

However instead of timing it , personally I think the best way is to have a reasonable size of breeder , and I prefer those which we put right into the tank instead of an external one , I found this give me the best result

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IMG_2254.JPG

Depending on your breeder size I think , in my case , I have two breeder , one is a much larger one like a big square net where the other one is a plastic made small one , I don't cover the top for both but turns out usually the guppies in the small one are expressing much more stress and they will try to jump back into the main tank area .

I won't say it's unsafe to put them in a small breeder but seems like they are more vulnerable in a small one . Generally speaking , I heard ppl usually say it's best not too keep them for too long ( few days ) but I don't think there is a golden rule for that , I got friend who put the guppies for two weeks and are just fine , the idea is they seems getting more stress when they realize their got locked up , if we want to minimize the risk that they got too much stress in it ,it's always better to keep it as short as possible.

On the other hand , some ppl believe it's better to put them into a breeder early (like one week before giving birth )

However instead of timing it , personally I think the best way is to have a reasonable size of breeder , and I prefer those which we put right into the tank instead of an external one , I found this give me the best result

That is the size of my breeder tank

If you can post a clear pic of your fish we might be able to tell you if she is squaring off, which means she will give birth in the next 24-48 hours

The main reason I don't know when is because I had a green swordtail that gave birth and I didn't know and she didn't look squared at all.

That is the size of my breeder tank
Thats exactly the small one I am using,

It's ok to keep one guppy IMO, if I recall it right , there is no hole at the bottom but just the side so make sure clean up any food or waste everyday.

Thats exactly the small one I am using,

It's ok to keep one guppy IMO, if I recall it right , there is no hole at the bottom but just the side so make sure clean up any food or waste everyday.

Will do thank you for your help

From that picture it looks like she could have a week ahead of her or more. The main thing to look for is 1. squaring off (It will look like she swallowed a box) Or 2. a drastic change in size. (Which means she has already given birth to some fry)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back