How long does it take molly fry to grow up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clairemolly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how long does it take for little molly fry to be big enough to be put in the main tank?How many weeks?

claire

i beleive a suitable age to put them into the tank with the bigger fish is, anywhere between 3 and 5 months.

They'll about half grown at 6months old but it take a year in total before they are mature enough to breed themselves or are fully grown- mollys not only take longer in their pregnancys but their fry also take a fair amount of time to grow too compared to livebearers like guppys, which are fully grown/mature enough to breed at about 6months.

my molly fry are 5 weeks old and still they can fit in the other fishes mouth!!Since these are big mollies. The main breeding male is 4 and a half inches long!

claire

Feeding them lots of fry foods and crushed freezedried fish foods will help them grow a bit faster/gain more weight, but you'll pretty much just have to be patient im afraid as there isn't anything else you can do to make them grow faster, it could take 3months before they are bigger enough to go in your main tank -_-

I feed them crushed up blood worms and krill. I also feed them worms and grubs.

claire

TetraMinfry or "first bites" by hikari are foods designed to offer all the nutrition fry need for the first couple of months of their lives(or depending on how big they are), you can also get freezedried daphinia and tubifex which you should be able to get at your lfs and fry love it crushed up :) .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back