How long can Tammy stay in nursery thing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nitrites appear to be zero and waiting on nitrates. What is the difference between the two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edit found the edit button and nitrates are about five or ten.

Last edited:
I recommend you do some IN depth separate research on that, but in a nut shell here you go:
Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all byproducts of organic waste breaking down in an aquarium, and all are toxic at some level to your fish and plant life. A significant amount of fish and plant waste can accumulate in any aquarium, (as well as uneaten food, algae, and bacteria). As in all environments, this waste needs to be broken down and either eliminated or turned into something which can be utilized by another organism. In an aquarium, there is a population of bacteria that is responsible for this process. The breakdown of nitrogenous waste is a four-part process:
  1. First, the waste from fish, plants, and food breaks down and releases ammonia.

2. This ammonia is very toxic to fish and is converted to nitrite by nitrifying bacteria.

3. Nitrite is also toxic to fish, and is converted to nitrate once again by beneficial nitrifying bacteria.

4. Nitrate is not nearly as toxic, and is used by plants or algae to help them grow.

Because high levels of ammonia and nitrite are lethal for fish, it is critical that these products be efficiently removed or converted to nitrate. Nitrate, nitrite and ammonia can also be removed through weekly water changes.

I decided to put some of the young fry in a betta tank for right now but as soon as I think I caught all the tiny ones I see more. Once they get bigger I will put them back into the twenty gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back