How long can Tammy stay in nursery thing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AlphinaNovaStar

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am getting a nursery plastic thing for my guppy Tammy soon. The local Petsmart I went to Saturday did not have it in stock. I ordered one from Amazon and should get it soon as in hopefully this week. I want to put Tammy in it for a bit to give her a break from Tom. I was thinking of having her in there until the next batch of fry appear or until I can get back to Petsmart with the intention of buying new female guppies. The ratio of adult male guppy to adult female guppy is one to one as I only have two adult guppies. I could not get a female guppy Saturday as it was my first stop of the day and also was spending that night with my mum.
I may end up getting the female guppies next Monday or Tuesday as Friday is payday and I will have some funds and opportunity to get them but I should still be able to tell Tammy apart from the new guppy girls as Tammy is big and wide.
My question is how long can Tammy stay in the nursery thing? Also how many more female guppy friends should I get? I know in a few months or so I will have eight or nine healthy adult guppies if all the fry grow up. I just want to make sure I do not get too many for the twenty gallon tank or too few to help Tammy feel less stressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why do you want the nursery "thing"? if you have an appropriate sized tank you wont need it at all. (you said 20?) Waste of money imo.

why do you want the nursery "thing"? if you have an appropriate sized tank you wont need it at all. (you said 20?) Waste of money imo.

True but it is too late to cancel order. I tried but it is too late. I think I got it to give Tammy some rest while the guppies I will get soon get used to their new home.

Im still confused... Why does your One particular fish need rest? Is she being breed with to often? ("how often") im not completely getting why your getting this still.. Provide hiding places (live plants; vallisneria) on the surface of the water for guppys to not be so stressed (or frogbit, duckweed, etc)

I only have one female guppy. I am planning on getting some more female guppies soon though.

Ok; so what are your TOTAL tank inhabitants, what kind and how many.

One Cory, one female guppy and one male guppy and eight or nine guppy fry

Corys of any variety, need at least a group or shoal of six. They are schooling fish and without a school, are normally very depressed and can easily get illnesses. I recommend you get five more, excuse me highly recommend. and some live plants as they love them.
As for the guppys, you said you where getting more females, that sounds like a good idea regarding your stocking currently. The nine guppy fry if you have another tank with carnivorous fish I would toss in there or get rid of somehow as they can quickly take over your tank; and raise ammonia levels (which should always be zero) depending on your filtration which im quickly assuming is an HOB.

So five more corys and how many more female guppies?

I would say five more of both. Then you also have room for a middle swimming fish; depending on your water chemistry. And if you don't want the baby guppies anymore (up 2 u) im sure your LFS would be willing to swap a male for female.

Right now thinking of giving some of the fry later to my mum if she wants them. Otherwise I will wait till they are older to figure out which fry are female or male. I might swap the boy fry when they get older with female fish.

I am thinking of returning the guppy breeder next week or the week after that. I just have to return it within thirty days of getting it

The fry count is different today. Either some of fry shrank or Tammy had more fry. I do not know how many fry are in there now.

If I am reading the tests right
Zero ammonia
Ph 7.3
Testing nitrites right now then nitrate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back