How do you get 2 rams to form a pair?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

delanie0317

Reaction score
i want to start breeding bolivian rams. I have a 29 gallon that's completely cycled with 3 goldenwonder killifish in it. Can i leave the golden wonder killifish in the tank or should i move it to my 20 gallon? I've done a lot of reading and i've seem that you're supposed to buy 6-8 rams and let them pair up but the rams at my lfs are very expensive so i could only get 1 male and 1 female. How can I ensure that i will get rams that will from a pair?

Fish are like all animals and people, not everyone likes everyone else. You can't force a male and female cichlid to become a happy pair. The best way to get a happy pr of cichlids is to buy a group of 8-10 fish and let them pr off naturally. If you can't afford 8-10 fish buy 2 prs and let them pr off, then move 1 pr into their own tank.

The killifish should be fine with them.

Bolivian rams are virtually unsexable as juveniles, so you're going to have to buy a small group anyway.

Given the consequences, I would not advise buying a group unless you are prepared to house them permanently, of if the store will take them back.

If the store has several of the species in a tank, it may be possible to observe pairs that are bonded or likely to bond. This is the only way I do this. Remain in front of the tank for some time, carefully observing the fish; move as little as possible so they are not distracted by your movements. Males will bee obvious because they will be continually "charging" each other; this usually will not be actual physical contact, though sometimes it may, but just a sort of "warning" advance of a male toward another male.

The fish that do not participate in the above are more likely females. The female closest to a male, that is basically ignored by that male, is more likely to bond with the male. The closer the two will be without any push or shove, the more likely a bond may form.

I do not advise keeping this ram with Aplocheilus lineatus (golden wonder killifish). A 29 gallon is not sufficient space for one thing, and you will not have fry for another. But the two fish are not all that compatible anyway.

The killifish should be fine with them.

Wont the Killifish eat the Ram fry?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back