How do I reduce Ph level?

Shadowfax

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a new community fish tank (upgraded to a 180L or 45Gallon). My test indicate that the Ph level is slighly too high for my fish to be transferred to my new tank. The chart says my Ph level is between 7.6 - 7.9.

How can I reduce it? This is after I did a 30% water change earlier today.

Thanks

S

Have you checked your tap water ph level? It's quite difficult to lower or higher ph levels and keep them stable.
Another thing - your fish will adjust to the ph level as long as it stays stable. It's the constant changing that stresses them. What fish do you want to keep?

you can reduce ph as using drift woods or peet fibers
but you can also get higher ph as using corals... :D

Hi, my other tank is fine after a water change, but it is much smaller. Your right the tap water is not far off too.

The fish I will transfer are:

2 x Platy
6 x Tetra's
1 x cory cat
1 x nocturnal algae eater (gift - pleco type I think)?

My PH is very similar to yours, I've currently got 6 neons, 1 oto and 2 rams.

The rams tend to like acidic waters but because my pH is constant and where I got them from has a similar pH they are doing just fine.

Dont use a buffer to reduce it, especially if you are keeping live plants as they remove all the nutrients from the water. Bogwood is another way that can help too!

I think I have a similar problem -

I set up a new aquarium about 3 weeks ago with an undergravel filter, two pieces of slate and some plants in to which I am going to move some fish from a tiny starter aquarium. The pH is reading 7.8 - 8.0 on my API liquid test. I don't understand it because my tap water is pH 7.0 (always stable) and the Slate rock is supposed to be inert. The substrate is standard aquarium gravel (small-ish size).
There is a Carbon fitler cartridge on the spare uplift tube to which I intend to attach the airpump from the old tank when they move.

The old tank has a pH of 6.6 - 6.4. There is a piece of Bog Wood and the same gravel as in the new tank.

The residents are:

4x Glowlight Tetras
1x Molly (fully grown now, reared from fry)
1x Golden Chinease Sucking Loach

Can anyone suggest what might account for the difference in pH?

I have read that bogwood can help lower pH - would it help If I moved the Bogwood from the old tank to the new one (I was going to anyway)?
How much of an impact on the pH would it make?

I have been doing partial water changes, but it always seems to return to the higher pH value.

Would it help If did a water change in both tanks prior to the move in an attempt to get the pHs a bit closer?

IMHO
it is far better to have a stable pH than the ideal pH.
messing about raising and/or lowering it will only
cause problems in the future.

If you are really set on altering it checkout this pinned topic, it should answer your question.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=59467

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back